Spraying engine bay

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was going to paint my Duster project a non metallic color.....

New I'm thinking maybe B5 and keep the car more of a sleeper.

I have used custom mix spray cans from Route 66 Auto Color in a single stage paint with no issues.

I was wondering if maybe I should use a base-clear coat in the engine compartment if i decide to go with the B5?

When I was a kid I had my B5 68 Cuda repainted in something close to B3 Basin Street Blue and I always regretted it. Somehow I think doing this car up in B5 with lots of chrome will make up for my mistake..........

I was going to paint my Duster project a non metallic color.....

New I'm thinking maybe B5 and keep the car more of a sleeper.

I have used custom mix spray cans from Route 66 Auto Color in a single stage paint with no issues.

I was wondering if maybe I should use a base-clear coat in the engine compartment if i decide to go with the B5?

When I was a kid I had my B5 68 Cuda repainted in something close to B3 Basin Street Blue and I always regretted it. Somehow I think doing this car up in B5 with lots of chrome will make up for my mistake..........

I am a complete novice but I have had several in depth conversations with professional painters. They all said the same thing. pearls and flake is for expierienced painters. that being said....... I would go for it with a single stage and see how it goes. the worst that could happen is it looks like **** and you learned something. then just sand it back down and do it again. maybe go to local scrap yard and buy a junk fender or hood and practice till you got it down.

I plan to single stage my jams and engine compt and trunk then put on the fenders and hood and take it to a painter to finish the outside.. Can't see trying to buff out those places.

Use base/clear for metallic colors. Better yet, Use base/clear for any color.

I second NOT doing an engine bay for a first project if it's been a while.

Re-sanding all those crevices and interior corners will SUCK.

Two stage paints to me are so much easer to spray and it looks so much better,when you put the first stage on it's just dull when you through that clear on the it just comes alive.

Base/ clear,SO much easier to shoot a metallic paint, than a single stage for a beginner. Been there,save yourself, the frustration and heartache. Grab some junk sheet metal/sheets,a gun. Go check the local shops,for mismixed paint. My .02,if you want to spray metallic yourself.

Base / clear any day.
Dont try to "hide" all the primer on the first or second coat.
Put three light coats on and let it tack according to temperature / humidity, then two coats of clear the same way.

Here is a shot of cheap Summit base / clear on the spare tire that is in my trunk.
Wheels are alot harder to paint than an engine compartment.

1000854hk.jpg

-
Back