Spring bushing sleeve

-

zigs

Reaction score
Replacing bushings in my springs.
Front eye bushings came out but there is a metal sleeve I'm sure is going to have to come out. Whats the best way. 2" front eye

Cut the ends off, pry it out, and replace the bolts.
Or, cut the ends off and cut the middle out, then it will all fall apart; replace the bolts.
Or heat the sleeve until it turns red, then smash it all along the axis of the bolt with a BFH, to expand the sleeve, but not hard enough to bend the bolt.... lol.. If the bolt gets hot, you may have to start over. The bolt should almost fall out.
When you reassemble it, coat the bolt with anti-seize.

Just like A-Arm bushings. If you have a press as I do, use it with the correct size pushing object and remove it.

Just like A-Arm bushings. If you have a press as I do, use it with the correct size pushing object and remove it.
I did every bushing in the rear of my 74 Duster and replaced with polyurethane I didn't have one issue getting any of that stuff out it still took me and a Friend, four or five hours, but we were taking it easy...

I'm getting ready to replace mine. I looked up in a 69 service manual and it describes using the new bushing and Tool C-3709 to remove and replace the old bushings. I get kick out of guys that recommend going at it with fire and smashing, when a vise along with couple of wrenches, a bolt or a piece of all-thread, some nuts, a couple pieces of various sized pipe or pipe nipples, a few washers, even sockets and sometimes hole saws you can do essentially remove and replace just about any bushing same without the special tool.

20230501_075241.jpg

20230501_081012.jpg

-
Back