Spring perches measurement

-

meathead66

Mod Top
Reaction score
I need suggestions as where to weld in the spring perches. I know it should be in the car with the engine and trans in place in order to get the correct pinion angle however that isn't possible cause the car is on a rotisserie. Car is 69 Dart with mini tubs and a Dana 60. Anyone have some measurements with the the Dana pinion parallel to the ground from the ends of the pumpkin? Yes I know its unorthodox but I only have access to a welder for the week. Pictures would be appreciated.:cheers:

Shouldn't your perch centers be the measurement from the outside of one front box to the inside of the other? Unless your springs are angled.

Are there perches on it now that you are just moving? If so, put them at the same angle. I don't know what angle mine are, but I had to use shims to get it nosed up enough. I think I have 4 degrees in shims, but would rather have the perches at correct angle than to have the shims.

Shouldn't your perch centers be the measurement from the outside of one front box to the inside of the other? Unless your springs are angled.

Huh? There aren't any perches on it now, never was. The Dana is out of the car and I need to know where to put them if the pinion is parallel to the ground. I know they aren't the same distance from the ends cause the diff unit isn't in the center.

That'll make it easy then because the carrier mounting surface is 90 degrees to the pinion and so you want three degrees off from a 90 degree angle.

Put a straight edge on the face of the housing and on the perches and make it 3 degrees angled.

This ought to prime you to figure something out.:D

Attachments

• perch4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 156
...pinion 3 degrees up?

Down, because the rear end pivots the pinion up when you put a load on it.

I just posted the pic for a reference on how you can use the carrier mount surface when you don't have a pinion to go by.
The gauge in the pic is obviously on the wrong side of zero. LOL

That'll make it easy then because the carrier mounting surface is 90 degrees to the pinion and so you want three degrees off from a 90 degree angle.

Put a straight edge on the face of the housing and on the perches and make it 3 degrees angled.

This ought to prime you to figure something out.:D

OK I got that part but where from the middle of the pinion on each side? My spring boxes are 34 5/8" center to center. The carrier is offset (longer on the driver side)

Attachments

• IMG_0917 (1).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 154
OK I got that part but where from the middle of the pinion on each side? My spring boxes are 34 5/8" center to center. The carrier is offset (longer on the driver side)

Oh, so you are asking if someone can give you a measurement from one fixed point to the other instead of having to go through all the centering setup from scratch.

I don't know if I could trust that for one car to another.
I'd have to see those wheels (with tires) in there before I could be comfortable with with welding up anything.

Or a the very least precisely measuring it all out down to drum to insides of the fenders.

You don't center the pinion. You take the measurement I mentioned before and center it between your backing plates or housing flanges. The pinion is not centered in the car.

Oh, so you are asking if someone can give you a measurement from one fixed point to the other instead of having to go through all the centering setup from scratch..

Yep like I said in the original post I only have a welder for the week and thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone.
When I ordered the S-60 from Dr. Diff I didn't need the perches as they came in my mini tub kit. My question is where would they have put them as it was a shortened unit? He only needed the measurements of the distance between the outside of the fenders minus the width of the wheels plus the back spacing.
Anyways guess I will have to wait until the engine, trans and driveshaft are in and weld them in then. To me as often as this has been done they should all be the same. No? Appreciate the help.:pale:

To me as often as this has been done they should all be the same. No? Appreciate the help.:pale:

I saw the welder part but it seemed so small an issue compared to welding stuff up by someone else's measurement. (you can rent a welder)

I couldn't do it without absolute measurements.:D

You don't center the pinion. You take the measurement I mentioned before and center it between your backing plates or housing flanges. The pinion is not centered in the car.

This^^^^^

You measure equidistant amounts from the housing ends to both perches, putting them at the distance apart you need.

-
Back