Spring retainers and locks.

-

Docmcg

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my slant 6 rebuild and have hit a bump. I ordered oversized valve from SI valves, but they don't have spring retainers and locks. Can someone suggest where to get retainers and locks? My valves have 3/8" stems and the intake valves have 2 grooves and the exhaust valves have 4 grooves.

What valve springs are you using? If "340" type springs and retainers, the stock 340 parts should work. Stock Mopar slants and small blocks, and if I remember corectly, big blocks used 2 and 4 groove locks.
1968 DODGE DART 5.2L 318cid V8 Valve Spring Retainer Keeper | RockAuto

PS: The retainers are slightly different between the slant six/318 single spring, and the 340 spring with damper. The 340 retainer is slightly larger on the OD, but I have used the stock slant six retainer with the 340 springs and a .500 lift cam, without problems.

Last edited:
Call up Crower cams and tell them what you have. They will need to know the spring diameters (inner and outer, I.D, O.D's on both), valve diameter and the spring height. Also want to know cam specs. With this information they can match you up a retainer that would work for you. For that matter any cam manufacturer that sells retainers could help you. You can do the figuring out yourself but it takes a bit of work and it's easier to call a cam shop and give them the info for most people. They are not that much money for all of it either. I think with the parts I bought from Crower for my 340 set up with a .510 Isky solid cam it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 160.00 or so with springs, retainers and locks.
*Note* You may be required to machine the guides for a specific seal to clear the retainers depending of lift of the cam.
Paul

I'm in the middle of my slant 6 rebuild and have hit a bump. I ordered oversized valve from SI valves, but they don't have spring retainers and locks. Can someone suggest where to get retainers and locks? My valves have 3/8" stems and the intake valves have 2 grooves and the exhaust valves have 4 grooves.

Last edited:
-
Back