Squeaking "bushing" sound from rear

-

72dartnotus

Reaction score
I have a nearly constant squeaky bushing-sounding squeak coming from the rear well of my '72 Dart Custom. If I push down on the rear fender even slightly with my hand when the car is stopped and not running I get a squeak. It's extremely annoying.

What in anyone's experience is the mostly likely cause of this?

If I just bring over new rear shocks for the mechanic to put in, will that most likely fix it?

Mechanics are fairly useless here in terms of telling you what to get to fix various problem. Diagnoses anywhere are challenging, and it's even more the case when they aren't experience with a particular year and model car.

I am not in a country where any parts are readily available so I have to come to the US and bring whatever I might need back in a suitcase. If I might need shocks, I'll just get them (doesn't hurt to replace them anyway). Whatever it might be I will be willing to just buy and take a chance that it's that. I can possibly record the sound with my phone and upload it if that would help.

Any help is appreciated!

If you have some spray lube, try spraying the spring bushings, the shock bushings top and bottom etc. Do it one at a time, and bounce the rear. You may get lucky and find it that way.

It's quite possible that you just have a dried out, hardened bushing. Spraying them one at a time and testing will help you narrow it down hopefully.

I always use a mechanics stethoscope and place on suspected source of noise while someone bounces it. Really helps to pinpoint the noise.

At our shop we use chassis ears for noises, higher tech version , you can hook up multiple clip on leads to an amplified box with earphones on your vehicle and drive it if needed , overkill in your case , but work really good.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyewnKw3Ro"]FixEuro.com - Chassis Ears Demonstration on 2007 BMW X3 - YouTube[/ame]

I did pay $8 for a small can of WD40 (along with $11 for a can of starting fluid...a lot of stuff is really expensive here since it's imported in small quantities and taxes are high (it's expensive to run their military despite the subsidy from the U.S., and with a weak U.S. dollar it makes things even more expensive for people using dollars...can you imagine paying $9/gallon for fuel?)), so anyway I can squirt some WD40 in various places one at a time until I locate the likely problem spot. Any chance that squirting could actually stop it from squeaking permanently?

-
Back