Squealing fan belt

-

Tnplumber

Reaction score
My 72 Dart with 318 a/c and PS has always had a problem with the fan belt squealing on a hard acceleration. The belt is from Napa and is a 15375, I believe. I know the tension is correct. the PS box is new as is the fan and fan clutch. The engine is not leaking anything on the belts or pulleys either. I am at a loss.

Scott

First thing I'd do is verify the noise is from the fan belt and not from something else. If the squealing is coming from the belt hand spin the pulleys to make sure there isn't any bearing noise, a mild noise in a bearing can turn painfully loud at a high speed, and double check the deflection of the belt.
Do you have a manual or auto transmission?
Is there anything else going on when the noise happens? Shifting? turning?
Are there any other mechanical/drivability issues?

Nope everything is good except on a hard acceleration. The car is in excellent mechanical shape. It is an automatic.

probably sounds stupid but are the pulleys clean and aligned? My K car came with a factory belt squeal at high rpm, and the pulleys were out of alignment from the factory. Not trying to compare my k car with your what looks to be beautiful dart. Just a thought...

Just tighten the belt up some more! Mine was doing the same thing with NAPA belt. Tighten it up and it is GONE!

probably sounds stupid but are the pulleys clean and aligned? My K car came with a factory belt squeal at high rpm, and the pulleys were out of alignment from the factory. Not trying to compare my k car with your what looks to be beautiful dart. Just a thought...

Thanks man, will check it will a straight edge.

Oddly enough I dreamed about a squealing fan belt last night. That belt was the wrong section \_/ . I could see where the belt was riding the bottom of the grooves. It's not supposed to. Anyway... 72 has a single a/c drivebelt and some idler pulleys ?
73 has 2 belts on the a/c and those would squeal too unless you paid more for a matched set. Good luck with it.

-
Back