SRT4 swap my 66 Valiant?

-

Broo42

Reaction score
This may upset the purists but I have 2 SRT4s that are currently not road worthy and was kicking around the idea of swapping one of the turbo 2.4s into the Valiant with a GM AR5 transmission. A local guy converted his 1st gen Neon to RWD and used the same combo. Anyone else ever have this idea?

Interesting! Not impossible but will take a little engineering to get thing mounted. You'll have plenty of room to work on the engine. Those 4 bangers can make some power!!

This may upset the purists but I have 2 SRT4s that are currently not road worthy and was kicking around the idea of swapping one of the turbo 2.4s into the Valiant with a GM AR5 transmission. A local guy converted his 1st gen Neon to RWD and used the same combo. Anyone else ever have this idea?
It would certainly be easier than converting a Neon to RWD, there was a Shelby Charger years back that did that RWD conversion with the 2.2Turbo platform that ran 11's, the biggest hurdle probably will be oil sump/steering linkage co-existance.

Given i know there is the balance shaft assy. in there, steering work around will be the challenge, unless You eliminate the balance shafts....which some folks do....then it's custom pan &/or steering mods.

I have kicked this idea around since I owned my SRT4. My thought was to use the Jeep 2.5 auto. It’s 904 based and can be upgraded to handle the power. Look at 90’s jeeps and Dakota for mounting ideas. Not the same motor, but Mopar/4cyl/rwd and should provide ideas.

Start in post #336. Unfortunately he sold it and never finished it.

20170414_180935-jpg.1715038890

Here's another build:

Here's another build, no idea if there is additional info anywhere:

Maybe @fig can comment?

ba6e69e2-f235-404d-a87a-6a2e7db92d21-jpeg.1715812443

2a820841-1837-46e7-a2f6-5e5ea2b66487-jpeg.1715812444

I met a guy years ago that also did a swap with a Jeep 6 speed into an MGB. That was the first time I had the idea to swap one of these engines into a RWD platform. I'm not at all handy with custom fab, so I might need to get a second job to make this happen. :mad:

Yup, my car. I’ve been lazy and haven’t worked on it a quick run down. 66 Dart, 8 3/4” rear, leaf springs moved in. 727 with a gear vendor. I have a Holley Terminator ECU. I need to wire it and freshen up the motor. I have found many reasons not to work on it. lol

Trans, motor, driveshaft, radiator, converter with about 3200 stall, intercooler, and piping, has been figured out. The car is painted and ready to install the interior.

-
Back