SS Spring Shackle Question

-

Jet Doc

Reaction score
I just installed a pair of SS springs on my 64 Dart. The drivers side shackle angle looks to be normal with the spring eye positioned aft of the upper shackle pivot point. However, the passenger side spring eye is forward of the shackle pivot point???? I have not yet put the car on the ground yet, but I am anticipating a possible issue. Is this due to the higher arch on the passenger side spring? Do I need to move the passenger side mount forward? Thanks in advance?

That is weird. Put her down and check it out.

It could be that SS springs are biased. The number of leaves as well as the arc may be different enough to cause that. Cars sometimes tend to sit "crooked" when on the ground. But as noted by rumblefish, get it on the ground and go from there. But I would keep the distance between spring mounting locations the same if you have to move anything to get the correct shackle angle. In other words, if needed, move both shackle mounts the same amount, but also double-checking that the original distance are the same from side-to-side.

Double check proper distance on the rear end on how it sits and it's distance from wheel ccenter to front shackle. The rear end housing can sit cocked in the saddles. Though, I don't think it's enuff to cause the problem, just double check.

Also if the front hangers are equal.

These new 002/003 springs only have 5 leaves on both springs. I'm hoping it will settle and even the shackles out.

you will have to move the shackle mount forward. i had to do this to my 66 dart drag car and one of my other cars. The arch in the spring make the right side spring shorter.

I have the 002/003 on the scamp no probs. Run a tape from frt to rearmount and compare """. If thats good double ck springs part## if you look hard you will see the ##.Let us know .

-
Back