Reaction score
I have a 67 dart weighs 3300 lbs
Has 002 003 springs
Rancho 9 way adjustable shock
Springs moved to frame rail.
28 inch nitto drag radials
Manual trans.
4.30 gear ratio

When accelerating from a slow crawl the Car hooks very hard with little to no spin from the tires.

The problem being is that the cars rear end seems to kick out to the right when hooking. It's not kicking out a lot but enough to notice. What should I adjust to straighten out the kick to the right?
Is it a shock setting?
If I recall from last year I have the shocks set at full firm on both sides. Do I soften the one side shock to help straighten out?

Ensure the rear is installed square to the chassis. May need to shim driver side back.

make a shime or 2 out of 1/8th plate and unbolt the front spring box and shim 1/8th at a time and try again . works very good .

Can't shim because of doing spring movement inboard so i will have to do some magical machining to move the spring eye back somehow

*scratches head*

I have the same springs shocks and tires as you but I have a 904 with a 418 stroker my car hooks real good and goes straight but about 30ft out the springs seem to unload and my wheels start hopping have any ideas to a cure ?

I have the same springs shocks and tires as you but I have a 904 with a 418 stroker my car hooks real good and goes straight but about 30ft out the springs seem to unload and my wheels start hopping have any ideas to a cure ?
I wonder if it's not maintaining the weight transfer from the hit and as the car settles down there's not enough weight to keep the tires planted. Might be either too stiff of a spring or maybe too stiff of a shock setting on the rear?

I wonder if it's not maintaining the weight transfer from the hit and as the car settles down there's not enough weight to keep the tires planted. Might be either too stiff of a spring or maybe too stiff of a shock setting on the rear?

I hope its that simple i'm going do more testing in the next couple weeks thanks for your opinion you got me thinking .

to the op sorry for hijacking your thread .

Can't shim because of doing spring movement inboard so i will have to do some magical machining to move the spring eye back somehow

*scratches head*
Do some measuring before you rack your brain about moving the spring. What type bushings are you running in the spring eyes? Could go to aluminum and make an "offset" bushing.

Using the rubber bushing because the Car is 95% street driven.

Thinking about a cam type setup similar to the upper control arm cams.
May do some tinkering tomorrow in my free time

those springs were original designed for 3000 pound cars too.

Raise air pressure in the right side. Right, wrong, or whatever.... Been doing this with the cuda in my avatar. Straight axe, 365 ci 4 speed, 28 x 10.5 Mickeys, 4.56 gear. Always wanted to pull right when I let out the clutch. 10.5 psi in the left, 11 to 11.5 in the right. Straight as an arrow.

Same springs as you, too. Forgot to mention that.

Raise air pressure in the right side. Right, wrong, or whatever.... Been doing this with the cuda in my avatar. Straight axe, 365 ci 4 speed, 28 x 10.5 Mickeys, 4.56 gear. Always wanted to pull right when I let out the clutch. 10.5 psi in the left, 11 to 11.5 in the right. Straight as an arrow.
Interesting....whodathunk the fix could be so simple...may not work for all but....

Besides different tire pressures?
are the rear of the leafs free for max movement? In banding the clamps help.

Thumbs up on that one. Excellent track strategy.
Ensure the rear is installed square to the chassis. May need to shim driver side back.
Excellent bad starting point.

Innovative idea. Please, post pictures.

Besides different tire pressures?
are the rear of the leafs free for max movement? In banding the clamps help.

I softened up my shocks made a big difference they were set fairly stiff as for the springs they are as they came I think they are clamped behind the axel .

I softened up my shocks made a big difference they were set fairly stiff as for the springs they are as they came I think they are clamped behind the axel .
All the mopar books/articles I've read state to clamp the FRONT half of the springs, not the rear. And SS springs should never be clamped.

All the mopar books/articles I've read state to clamp the FRONT half of the springs, not the rear. And SS springs should never be clamped.

like I said they are as they came as the way mopar performance made them

like I said they are as they came as the way mopar performance made them
Actually, it's if you're going to ADD clamps then you should only add them to the front half of the springs. I think most springs come with both halves clamped.

I would clamp the front more if I could but I don't have the clearance I run big tires .

I would clamp the front more if I could but I don't have the clearance I run big tires .
I used to run a '70 Challenger that would run mid to low 12's. It was an original 340 car (340 was long gone by the time I got the car) and had a 440. The rear suspension was the original tired factory springs and an open carrier 8 3/4 w/3.23 gears. I put a locker in the carrier, and used 1" wide U bar steel to make clamps for the springs.

-
Back