Stainless valve in cast iron guides,issues?

-

SWED67barracuda

Reaction score
Hi , I wonder , have anyone heard of , or have experience of that stainless valves dont go together with cast iron guides . I was talking to a machinist who says they will sort of grind together , the two materials dont mix well .? And you must use bronze guides . Another machinist says its ok if valve stems are chromed , arent all stainless stems chromed? Anyways , opinions or experience of this . Cheers Ubbe.

Last edited:
Run them together a LOT through the years. No issues.

Hi , I wonder , have anyone heard of , or have experience of that stainless valves dont go together with cast iron guides . I was talking to a machinist who says they will sort of grind together , the two materials dont mix well .? And you must use bronze guides . Another machinist says its ok if valve stems are chromed , arent all stainless stems chromed? Anyways , opinions ore experience of this . Cheers Ubbe.

Here's an article on that very subject.

Quoted from the article:
Material choices for guides are down to two distinct types - cast iron and bronze. Yes, cast iron. NOT steel as described in many adverts and by vendors. Never have been, never will be. These are as fitted to the various A-series cylinder heads as standard in all applications. Cast iron is used because it is a very dissimilar metal from any used in valve manufacture - important to eliminate galling that causes seizure of the valves in the guides - is softer, yet resilient enough to wear well.

The entire article is here: Valve guides - Materials and usage

Here's an article on that very subject.

Quoted from the article:
Material choices for guides are down to two distinct types - cast iron and bronze. Yes, cast iron. NOT steel as described in many adverts and by vendors. Never have been, never will be. These are as fitted to the various A-series cylinder heads as standard in all applications. Cast iron is used because it is a very dissimilar metal from any used in valve manufacture - important to eliminate galling that causes seizure of the valves in the guides - is softer, yet resilient enough to wear well.

The entire article is here: Valve guides - Materials and usage
Thanks , very good article .

How's that same machinist feel about the valve face and head seat "the two materials dont mix well together", with the stainless valves?

There's no problem with iron guides and stainless until you subject them to very high temp conditions like turbo or big nitrous race deals. Those pretty black coated valves aren't needed either unless you have really hot exhaust temps.

I use valves from Si in California... Good quality and reasonably priced. Buy good stuff but don't overpay based on advertising hype.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Material choices for guides are down to two distinct types - cast iron and bronze. Yes, cast iron. NOT steel as described in many adverts and by vendors. Never have been, never will be. These are as fitted to the various A-series cylinder heads as standard in all applications. Cast iron is used because it is a very dissimilar metal from any used in valve manufacture - important to eliminate galling that causes seizure of the valves in the guides - is softer, yet resilient enough to wear well."/QUOTE]

Good info! Always learning. thanks for posting.

-
Back