stall speed?

-

pagilman

Reaction score
:cwm10: I am building a 340 for my duster, comp xe268 cam. My new tci converter says it is 1000 over stock stall. What kind of stall can i expect with this set up? What was the stock stall for a 340 attached to a built 904? Any help will be appreciated. Also I am not sure if the 340 short block I bought is internally balanced, would it hurt to us a B@M weighted flex plate to play it safe? Or what if i would put the weights on a converter and the engine is internally balanced, would this hurt? The short block does not have a forged crank, does that make a differance? thanks walt :silent:

My guess is your stall speed will be around 1800rpm. It may flash a little higher than that.

Can't help you with the flex plate questions. I'm having a difficult time of my own understanding all the variation of those things.

I am going to guess about 2000 on the stall and like Greg says it'll flash a little higher. I also can't help any on the weight issue. There were so many combinations and I don't have much experience there but one thing I will say is DON'T GUESS AT IT. Make sure and talk to someone who knows their 340's who can steer you right because if you use the wrong combination the least problem you'll have is a vibration that'll cause you to pull it back apart to change parts. The worst could destroy parts. Hopefully someone on the board that knows 340's will jump in here and help.

Cast crank 340's were built about mid 72 thru 73 . They are externally balanced with a wide funny lookin' balancer and use a weighted converter. Steel cranks use the thin balancer that looks like the one on a 318. Internal balance with the weighted converter will have a vibration. External balanced without weighted converter will vibrate. I never heard of a 340 from the factory with a 904.

Sounds like someone put the 904 behind it. Stock stall on a 340 should have been around 1500 from what I remember so I would think it should be in the 2500 area. But you may have to just try it and see. I have heard some people say they don't like the TCI convertors but I myself have never used them. I have used Dynamic and Turbo Action and they both work great. And on the eng get someone to check and see how it is balanced. If its external it will need weight on the convertor or flex plat but definetly find out as you dont need no vibration headache. Do you know the guy who you got the eng from ? Maybe you can ask him who built it. Ron

:thumblef: I tip my hat to you guys for the info, I am getting excited I almost have everything I need to put my 340 into my /6 duster. :drinkers:

-
Back