Stalling problem - only in gear

-

js1023

Reaction score
Okay, you guys have helped with every issue and hopefully this is a small one. Okay I have a 318 block with 360 heads with a Comp Cam 268H. I have the throttle body bolted to the top of the stock 318 intake manifold.

Issue: In park the motor runs great, soon as I put it in gear it wants to stall. It has an automatic transmisson. Park and Nuetral it wont stall. But soon as I drop it in drive and drive it 100 yards stop at a stop sign it wants to stall out. I have to pop it in nuetral and give it a little gas and drop it in drive to get going again.

Another thing that happens. I will drive it for a period of time and say a mile about and stop a traffic light it sputters and goes to stall..i have to pop the thing in nuetral and rev it up to keep it going

At first I thought it was oiling problem. But I changed the oil and filter like the advice was given and I hold great pressure.

I also adjusted the time 10 degrees above like factory specs but that seem to effect it any. Does anybody have any advice? Could I be dropping to much gas into the motor with the constant pressure of the throttle body? Could the timing be advanced way to high with the cam?

Thanks for the help you guys have been great and saved me a lot of money! Hopefully this issue is an easy fix the motor runs smooth and can really lay some rubber, Just need to it stay running at a traffic light and i would love it

Would need more info on the setup. Multi point injected I guess? You may have an IAC problem. Is this a factory magnum set up?

Would need more info on the setup. Multi point injected I guess? You may have an IAC problem. Is this a factory magnum set up?

No i dont think its a multi point injected. Its the first couple years that dodge put the throttle body on the 318. Its a 1988 dodge d100 non mag.

Do think a good throttle body cleaning could cure it...i dont think it has been done in a while

The first thing that comes to mind when anyone says the car runs fine in park and dies when shifted into gear is a converter without enough stall.

First thing that comes to mind to me is the cam is too big for the stock TBI system. It's a speed density system that doesn't have a lot of self adjustment. Once the cam duration reaches a certain point the MAP and TPS doesn't correlate any more and the computer gets confused. If you want to keep that fuel injection you'll need to go to a stand alone system that is programmable like a Mega Squirt or just put a carb on it.

is there a set screw to adjust the minimum air flow on the throttle body? might want to crank it up a bit. sounds like a converter would definetly help, what trans is it exactly? does it have a lock up converter? also did you fiqure out what the compression ratio is of your motor with the 360 heads? you might have really low compression which would cause all kids of problems with a fair sized cam and stock converter.

First thing that comes to mind to me is the cam is too big for the stock TBI system. It's a speed density system that doesn't have a lot of self adjustment. Once the cam duration reaches a certain point the MAP and TPS doesn't correlate any more and the computer gets confused. If you want to keep that fuel injection you'll need to go to a stand alone system that is programmable like a Mega Squirt or just put a carb on it.

Oh, I was assuming that this was an aftermarket FI system. If this is stock Mopar, you're gonna have a hard time ever getting it to run well with anything other than the stock cam. They aren't designed to adjust for changes, like GJ said.

Do you know if I unhook the map sensor and disconnect the battery will the computer set to default?

I have not found out the C/R of the motor, and its a stock tranny from the d100.

Thanks for the help

You can disconnect the battery positive cable, touch the positive cable end to a ground for 30 seconds and that will drain all the memory, that's probably not going to fix your problem though.

-
Back