stalls on hard cornering

-

dart0571

Reaction score
I have a '71 dart with a 225 slant six with a Holley 1920 carburetor. When I take a corner hard, the car will sputter or die. I can restart it right away, I am half thinking about autocrossing the car but that wont be fun if it dies on the corners, any ideas?

Is there an easy way to adjust that, I've never gotten into the carbs before. I know I've seen a few threads on here about rebuilding, is adjusting the float something that I might as well just rebuild it?

Float level is too HIGH, not too low.
Fuel sloshes over the top in the corners. Holley carbs will do this too.

George

Ok I got a rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb today. It runs good cold or warm until I put it in drive then it stalls on me now. It ran very well before, unless it was really cold. I noticed I had no fast idle screw so I ran to Ace and found one that fits. This carb is a mess, I think I might just buy a new one....

Ok I got a rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb today. It runs good cold or warm until I put it in drive then it stalls on me now. It ran very well before, unless it was really cold. I noticed I had no fast idle screw so I ran to Ace and found one that fits. This carb is a mess, I think I might just buy a new one....

the remans are horrible..

SL6dan might jump in with a suppler but you would be better off getting a junk yard carb and rebuilding it...

There is a brass fitting that let loose and I lost the steel ball that fell out. Also the pump return spring is missing. I may have lost some parts but I was being very carefull otherwise I might just not know what I'm doing. oh, well anyone have a well rebuilt one they want to sell me. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a 4 barrel? How hard is that to do?

Missing components...stuff falling apart...not sure if you might've lost some parts...and now you want to "upgrade" to a 4bbl? :shock:

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

I have a '71 dart with a 225 slant six with a Holley 1920 carburetor. When I take a corner hard, the car will sputter or die. I can restart it right away, I am half thinking about autocrossing the car but that wont be fun if it dies on the corners, any ideas?
I had a 60 Dodge Seneca that did that too me all the time. Turns out the tightening bolt on the didtributor was loose. Everytime I turned to the left, it would somehow retard itself and then slowly turn back to where it belonged. Went nuts trying to figure it out since I also thought it was carburetion. Bill

Well, took the float cover off and heard something hit the floor I wasn't expecting that. I found out the brass seat for the Power enrichment check ball had fallen out and the ball hit the floor never to be seen again. Is it possible to get parts for the main well and economizer body? I used the ball that was given in my rebuild kit for the pump diaphragm sleeve which my carb doesn't use/have. When I removed the pump diaphragm it had no return spring? I figured it might be redundant because the throttle linkage pulls out on the diaphragm. The brass fitting in the economizer body is being held in with hopes, I pressed it in but who knows it came out once. I adjusted the float and put it together. Only to find out I have no Fast idle adjustment screw, I never have now that I think about it. I'm just getting into this stuff I'm no expert, I'm thinking about just ordering a rebuilt one so I have all of the parts. I'm pretty sure stuff was left out of mine last time.

Missing components...stuff falling apart...not sure if you might've lost some parts...and now you want to "upgrade" to a 4bbl? :shock:

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

lol dan...

I had a 60 Dodge Seneca that did that too me all the time. Turns out the tightening bolt on the didtributor was loose. Everytime I turned to the left, it would somehow retard itself and then slowly turn back to where it belonged. Went nuts trying to figure it out since I also thought it was carburetion. Bill

i had this happen i my 65! its weird it would yo-yo on the freeway then be fine... stall at a light then burn the tires!

I'm pretty sure my carb needed a rebuild anyway. It wouldn't start when warm unless I floored it, the oil was smelling a bit gassy, and the stalling on cornering problem. I think that the check ball coming loose was the cause of this, it ran really well cold... I might look at it again today but I think I'm going to end up ordering something, if nothing else a used one off ebay just so I have some parts for mine. I would like to go to a 4 barrel eventually but I can't see that costing under $1,000 so that will wait. One thing at a time I guess.

When you pull apart a carb find an old large sheet cake pan or one of those
cheap aluminum throw away one.
They have low sides on them. Work on the carb over the top when rebuilding. If you drop something it will fall in the pan. It keeps you from losing parts.
I've done it works pretty good. It save you from crawling around on the floor looking for parts.

Good luck with your carb problem!

..we also used 'em for sliding down hills in the snow at university..thanks for the memories..

..I keep two under my workbench..

ian

-
Back