Starrett got bought out?

-
That's a real shame, but no surprise, really. I'll still shop for older Starrett tools.

I had never heard o Starrett Tools. I looked them up on Google; they were expensive!

Well that's a crying shame. I have a passel of Starrett stuff, but the new bean-counter masters will no doubt figure out how to drive this fine company into the dirt in the name of "progress".

Well the younger guys would do themselves well to get on Facebook marketplace and get what they think they will need. Then grab a few more.

That's a shame. Starrett does make very good stuff, but remember they're not the only player in the game. Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe, Interapid.... the list goes on.

I remember when the Japanese started making/copying "measuring" tools. They were complete garbage. As time went on, they kept improving the quality. Now Mitutoyo is a brand that can compete with the best of them. I have many measuring tools. All are B&S, Starrett, or Mitutoyo. Yeah I have a few Harbor Freight tools that I can take when parts hunting without risking damaging my good tools.

From Premium to Chinesium..
Many Starrett products are manufactured in China , Brazil and Germany , have been for a long time.
It ain't my daddies Starrett tools anymore. just the name.

Many Starrett products are manufactured in China , Brazil and Germany , have been for a long time.
It ain't my daddies Starrett tools anymore. just the name.

A long time for some is how long some of us have been playing this game. I have tool that will never leave this shop. And some that are checked for accuracy and taken on road-trips

The only thing changing with Starrett is going from a public company back to a private company.

Even in 2019 this is what LI Indicator Repair had to say about Starrett's Dial and Digital Calipers.

The lengthy website has been revamped but does have info on the more current Starrett test indicators. Some models US made, some not.
(2023) Dial Indicator Brand Comparison

I have two sets, my Dads set that I sent in 30 years ago to get checked and calibrated and my own set of Starrett wooden box micrometers that I bought almost 50 years ago off a friend of my dad at my dad's insistence. Very glad that I did, now I can use my Dad's to check that mine are correct.I wish I had bought a caliper back then.

@Mattax Thanks for sharing those links -- VERY informative. It's shocking (and unfortunate) how many "reputable" brands source their parts from China.

That's a shame. Starrett does make very good stuff, but remember they're not the only player in the game. Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe, Interapid.... the list goes on.
I have used Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, Mitutoyo, and Fowler. I like those brands in that order.

I bought a cheap 8" China made digital caliper that works just fine for things like measuring pushrods. It's probably accurate to within a thousandth or two which is close enough for pushrods. I wouldn't measure a finished crank though. Quality micrometers work best for that.

This is what I’m talking about. If I didn’t have two sets already I’d be all over this. On Facebook marketplace in pittsburgh area.

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2356.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

I love all this Chinese talk ..when people are bolting on Chinese heads on left and right.
I have a few gauges I bought off ebay, they'll last my lifetime.

-
Back