Start in Neutral only

-

Hankrebel

Reaction score
71 Swinger 318 column shift
I have a new issue after the car came back from the upholstery shop.
It will only start while in neutral. While in park turning the key no juice is getting to the starter.
I have plenty of power because the overhead light and door buzzer come on.
Is this possible something in the column?

With the lever in park, get under there and loosen the adjuster on the linkage rod.
Usually it will center itself when you loosen the adjuster, but if it doesn't just kind of wiggle the lever of the trans and center it in park, and then tighten the adjuster back down and try it.

That should do it.

If it works in neutral it's probably just slightly off.

With the lever in park, get under there and loosen the adjuster on the linkage rod.
Usually it will center itself when you loosen the adjuster, but if it doesn't just kind of wiggle the lever of the trans and center it in park, and then tighten the adjuster back down and try it.

That should do it.

Thanks. I will try that this when I get home from work.

Good advice but CHOCK it in case you move it too far and it tries to roll!!!

That should do it.

It wasnt the linkage after all. The next day it started with no issue and then stopped again. I remember having an issue with the ahmmeter and was able to feel back there and it seems to be with the ground. I plan on re-wiring the the charging circuit soon.

-
Back