starter bike???

-
i had never rode a street bike before untill a friend of mine bought a 09 ninja 250.. i rode it arounf the block and bought one the next day.. i rode that for a summer and then the next year i bought a yamaha r6.. im glad that i learned on the 250..a great bike for anyone to learn on.. a 600 is not a slow bike.. as mine has seen 170+ on track days.. so pace your self and have fun..

thanks for all the info guys, this is great. i really want to take that course, i need to save up the case, i think theyre like 250 or 300 bucks but they provide everything but jacket and gloves i think and your get the liscence at the end, by far the best way to go i think.

EMU LMAO

I started on a
94 zx9r ninja I wiped it out
95 zx9r ninja #2 sold it
98 zx9r ninja #3 sold it
05 zx10r wiped it out
04 zx10r still got it
you can learn on any bike but u have to respect them and take it easy and learn its tendency each bike is different
Aaron

i started on a 07 zx10r and as long as you don't ride overs your head you can start out on any bike you want
ride like NO ONE can see you

There is a balance between not being afraid of the bike and respecting it.

Too far either way will get you into trouble, sometimes REAL fast.

We just had a member who is a seasoned rider have another vehicle swerve in front of him and lock up the brakes. The guy is honestly lucky to be alive.

A crotch rocket is a fun bike, but they're expensive and insurance is insane for them. I used to rock a 750 Nighthawk (wish I never sold it) and I own a 03' yz250F. They are definite fun, and will save you money on gas, but can be risky.

Get a decent $2000 late 90's street bike and put some miles under your belt as mentioned. If you wipe, lay it down or hurt it, you're not out the $5-10,000 for a newer sport bike. When you sell the bike, you'll about break even and can get that nicer ride. Just remember to be careful and act like nobody sees you.

nighthawk.jpg

Attachments

• yz250.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 79
I rode everything from 80cc dirt bikes to a 700 Interceptor, to a 920 Virago, by the time I was 16, but never owned one until I was in my 30s.

First bike was a KZ440 LTD. great cheap bike to start on full time (now somewhat collectible), then got a 750 Virago, then a 800 Intruder (which is a hell of a nice easy to ride, one person well balanced and very quick street cruiser), and then a 1400 Intruder.

One thing I found was that they are actually MORE expensive to get fixed and buy parts for than a car, and that any chrome on a bike wont last nearly as long as chrome on a car. My 03 800's chrome was all wasted after 5 years of being kept in a shed, but my 45 year old car's chrome is OK sitting outside all that time.

My advice would be to take the rider safety course 1st. Then if you want to buy a bike I would recommend a bike w/ 500cc MINIMUM. Anything smaller you will outgrow so fast & not enjoy riding it. Also the bike won't feel as safe to you because it's too light & underpowered. A larger bike may weigh more but once you are rolling this will actually feel better & more stable. Please ride sensibly & obey laws. It's for your own good.

A sportster really would be a great starter bike with it's low seat height and relatively easy riding position. The 250 ninja or kawasaki EX500 is also a good choice with my preference being 500 for a begginer. Cheap to buy, easy to maintain, easy to ride and with plenty of power to grow into and enough torque to scoot you right along right from a stop. Good handling bike too. We used to build them for AMA class road racing.

Great advice here from everyone, take a MSF class (normally you get an insurance break for passing) and develop your skills from there. Take a lot of early morning rides when most people are off the road. Be sure you are confident in your skills efore riding in a big group as riding in formation takes some concentration.

My first bike was a mini-bike almost identical to the one JohhnyDart posted, then I saved my lawn cutting money for a Honda XL75 and rode the crap out that on the dirt and even on a frozen lake, lol! From there it a CB350 and then a KZ1000, then a KZ650, then a Cagiva Alazzura SS (650 Ducati Pantha engine) and now I have another KZ1000.

I've got over 35 years riding experience and rode every bike under the sun as a motorcycle mechanic, but still took an intermediate MSF course just to brush up on my skills and it wasn't near as easy as I thought it would be! I also agree that the Keith Code books rock.

The best general advice I can give you is ride as though NO ONE can see you, it may save your life. Never drink and ride and when gearing up and function checking your machine before a cruise, change your mindset to invisible mode.....

Congratz and enjoy, motorcycling will bring you a lifetime of memories and become part of your soul.

-
Back