Starter bolt question

-

FJ5

Reaction score
5.9 with 2000 Dakota starter. First of all I don't have a pic. My question is, what kind of bolts or studs does the starter use? The top bolt hole on the starter is bigger than the bottom one and looks as if it uses a shouldered bolt. Any I site or advise would be greatly appreciated.

5.9 with 2000 Dakota starter. First of all I don't have a pic. My question is, what kind of bolts or studs does the starter use? The top bolt hole on the starter is bigger than the bottom one and looks as if it uses a shouldered bolt. Any I site or advise would be greatly appreciated.

The larger one was a 7/16 stud with fine thread, but could be replaced with a bolt if needed.
Bottom one is a standard bolt.

If I remember correctly the threads in the bell are different than the threads on the starter end of the stud where the nut goes on, so you may want to try and find the right stud and nut, or just replace it with a 7/16 x 2" national fine thread bolt.
There was no shoulder to speak of and the starters register in the bell housing so the bolt isn't critical for lining it up.

Hope this helps

The bolt holes in mini starters changed at some year model. Some are clear bored and others are threaded. I suppose one could just drill out any threads.

-
Back