Starter bolt#*$)(#

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
Ok guys can somebody tell me the easiest way to get to the top bolt on the starter for a 360 with stock 273 manifolds in my 66 cuda? I have tried extensions etc. and no luck so far. Thanks

Attachments

• FILE0005.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 142
If it's anything like my 340 Duster I was told extensions would work but didn't. I ended up getting a "starter wrench" like a crescent shaped bent wrench on ebay.

I rigged up a socket, extension, and two swivel joints and got it that way but yes it is a pain. the curved wrench is the way to go. Whenever i go to the swap meet I always try to pick up those kind of specialty wrenches when i see them used for cheap.

warwagons 100%. Also, when you get that top bolt out...here's a tip. Go back with an allen head bolt. Get one of them ball end allen tools that will allow some serious flex. I do that to all of mine on the top. Works very well.

ive got power steering dont think the manifold is coming off very easily. did not know about the starter wrench thanks.

Don't be afraid to BEND a wrench, what are they, 5/8? Buy a cheapie, or take one of your rusty spares. Believe it or not, years ago, I've bent 1/2 and 9/16 with a PROPANE torch. Yes, it takes awhile. Put in the vise, get into a comfortable stance, ready with a pipe, vise grips or other leverage device, and heat away.

Don't be afraid to BEND a wrench, what are they, 5/8? Buy a cheapie, or take one of your rusty spares. Believe it or not, years ago, I've bent 1/2 and 9/16 with a PROPANE torch. Yes, it takes awhile. Put in the vise, get into a comfortable stance, ready with a pipe, vise grips or other leverage device, and heat away.
I always like to improvise,sometimes you have no choice but to make tools work.I can remember bending a 9/16 wrench for the distributor bolt way back when I was first learning to work on cars 30 some odd years ago.

Ok guys can somebody tell me the easiest way to get to the top bolt on the starter for a 360 with stock 273 manifolds in my 66 cuda? I have tried extensions etc. and no luck so far. Thanks

This was talked about 2 weeks ago too. :)

I used a 3 foot long, plus 4 inch long extension,
with the battery out of the battery tray. I was able to get the top bolt out pretty easy, with the long extension.

I suggest putting a small starter in, like one for a 1990 Dakota.

-
Back