Starter free wheeling

-

Hambony58

Reaction score
Starter free wheeling, I went to start my 1970 dart it’s started to turn over then it made a high-pitched Sound like it was just grazing the flywheel gearing. It did that twice then the starter just started spinning without engaging at all. My issue is I have to get this problem taken care of rapidly as my cars are going to be loaded for shipping by the end of next week vehicle has a 408 stroker automatic transmission and headers am I looking at problems if I have to swap out the starter and or solenoid? Haven’t looked as it was just getting dark when this happened….perfect timing by the way. If it’s not one thing it’s your mother - manalive I’ll be so glad when this move is over! Going on from San Jose California to Camden South Carolina.

Either the starter gear is toast or the ring gear.

Or the bendix is not throwing the gear out propperly.

The starter relay is fine. So i would get a cheap replacement starter and change it out.

My guess: starter gear has worn from lots of starts. And it wore to a point that the gear failed to mesh properly & spun over the ring gear teeth [ high pitched noise ]. That wore even more off the starter gear & now it doesn't mesh at all, just spins.

Alot of starter issues can be temporarily remedied with a good smack from a hammer, to help throw the Bendix.
If it's a worn out? Replacement, like he said. ^^^
Also, congrats on "The Move".
All of the stress will be worth it.

Last edited:
manalive I’ll be so glad when this move is over! Going on from San Jose California to Camden South Carolina
i left the peoples republic of california 15 years ago. Was able to breath free for the first time in 35 years! Congrats!

Had one once that the shaft the drive gear runs on wore out, and it wouldnt fully engage the flywheel.
Replacement starter is the quickest solution, inspect ring gear while starter is out.

-
Back