starter grinding

-
Patient::: 74 360 block and '66 904 automatic bellhousing with early 904 (small hub) converter with B+M weighted flexplate ...on engine run stand. I cannot stop the starter from grinding. I have tried several starters to no avail. Is the tin spacer/cover required for proper starter/converter alignment?

View attachment 1716276720

View attachment 1716276721
You said you've tried several starters. What style starters?

You said you've tried several starters. What style starters?
Standard big Mopar starters…they’re all the same, right?

1722291078967.jpeg

Last edited:
Starter’s fine… I have tried 3 altogether, and same problem.

I think I have a clue though… cut a window in the bell to see the starter/converter area. It appears I have a converter that has too many teeth, too close together as the Bendix teeth wont mesh with the ring gear teeth. I have video of them not working together, but the forum won’t let me post it.

I was under the impression that 904 converters were all the same up to ‘67, which this one is as it has the small hub?

View attachment 1716282491
OK, and I thought that I had mentioned to you before, but it was on another site.
OK the early 904 had two converters. Engine does NOT make any difference.
From 1960-Early 1962: 11", narrow ring gear, no weights, 1.550" pilot, slotted hub 18 splines. 148 tooth ring gear.
From late 1962 to 1967: All the same as above, except for the >>> 122 tooth ring gear<<<
Just a point: The hub is the part of the converter that goes into the pump, and the pilot goes into the crank.
This should tell you which converter you've got. Personally I think you've got the Early converter.

Hope all this helps you.

OK, and I thought that I had mentioned to you before, but it was on another site.
OK the early 904 had two converters. Engine does NOT make any difference.
From 1960-Early 1962: 11", narrow ring gear, no weights, 1.550" pilot, slotted hub 18 splines. 148 tooth ring gear.
From late 1962 to 1967: All the same as above, except for the >>> 122 tooth ring gear<<<
Just a point: The hub is the part of the converter that goes into the pump, and the pilot goes into the crank.
This should tell you which converter you've got. Personally I think you've got the Early converter.

Hope all this helps you.
Sorry…I stand corrected on the descriptions. Yes…small pilot… with Pat Blais’s adapter ring to large crank. I may have the 148 tooth ring gear converter. Like I said, I just picked this one out of a friend’s pile not knowing the 2 different tooth counts.

Sorry…I stand corrected on the descriptions. Yes…small pilot… with Pat Blais’s adapter ring to large crank. I may have the 148 tooth ring gear converter. Like I said, I just picked this one out of a friend’s pile not knowing the 2 different tooth counts.
Not an issue. Not many people know about the 2 different ring gears as they were only around for a couple of years.
Glad to be of some help.

I just counted the ring gear teeth on this converter… I got 148 teeth… that’s definitely the problem… my starters don’t mesh at all with it.

Here’s a pic to show the difference… left is SB 727 TC and one on right is the 148 tooth one.

IMG_2440.jpeg

I just counted the ring gear teeth on this converter… I got 148 teeth… that’s definitely the problem… my starters don’t mesh at all with it.

Here’s a pic to show the difference… left is SB 727 TC and one on right is the 148 tooth one.

View attachment 1716282997
That converter should be easier to find that the real early one you've got now. I say this, but I don't know for sure. You might want to contact tcs over in Langley to see IF they might have a core you can buy. If you're calling them ask for Steve. You might want to see if they would be interested in the one you've got. Probably not, but it won't hurt to ask.

Update…SUCCESS!!…found proper converter locally ( thanks Inertia!!)…turns over fine…it was the tooth count…now on to other peripherals to complete this setup!

Thanks for everyone’s input!

Update…SUCCESS!!…found proper converter locally ( thanks Inertia!!)…turns over fine…it was the tooth count…now on to other peripherals to complete this setup!

Thanks for everyone’s input!
Congratulations on the find, and getting you issues solved. Glad I could help you.

-
Back