starter install with new headers?

-

slipyoke

Reaction score
So it took me most the day, heat, hamer, buddy, and pry bar to get my new jegs headers in. never gunna buy cheep again. now im trying to get the starter in. is there some magical way to get that top bolt in? plz help i dont want to loosen the header up again! oh and do you normalylock tight header bolts?

So it took me most the day, heat, hamer, buddy, and pry bar to get my new jegs headers in. never gunna buy cheep again. now im trying to get the starter in. is there some magical way to get that top bolt in? plz help i dont want to loosen the header up again! oh and do you normalylock tight header bolts?

I have gotten the starter in by removing the pittman arm...hope this helps. On the header bolts I have used red rtv. I also use a stud in the 1st and last holes in each side because the heads are thin going into the water jackets.I also re tighten after warming up engine..(on a small block)

Bubba

All 3/8". short socket, wrap enough tape on the head of the bolt head to hold it in the socket. A swivel, then a 12" extentsion, then an other swivel, then more extensions. Or just buy a 92 Dakota starter. Been there, fell the pain.

If you have a stock big starter it's a bear to get in. I only use the mini starter with headers for that reason. Then install it like Green1 said.

I think you are supposed to get the header in posisition but don't bolt it up. Then put the starter and all the other parts back in. Then bolt the header up. I don't rememember the stock starter being anything more then a 5 minute install. The power wires were harder then the actual starter bolts. Being able to save $125 on a smaller starter was another big reason to go with those headers for me.

I had found a set of real nice NOS CPPA headers for my dart with P/S. I test fit the headers to make sure they will work, then have them jet coated. Well I buy a mini starter to use with it thinking I had all kinds of room for it by looking at the big opening I had and guess what. It wouldn't work. The solenoid part of it hit the header tube. So I had to use the original starter. What a BEAR, I had to take the header loose, fight,cuss,cuss some more but I finally got it in.

so there is a little plastic dust sheild on the frame in the area im working. well i took that joker off and it wasnt that big of a deal. AWESOME

I have Hedman headers and have had the full size starter in and out and now have a mini starter and had no issues with access to either bolt with either starter.

I use a long extension (~18") with a universal and socket on the end. Also, if you disconnect the drivers side inner tie rod end from the center link ad turn the wheel full left it moves the pitman arm to the passenger side out of the way.

all tell yassss I like the sound of useing a stud than a bolt.I cant tell ya how many times I swor just trying to get that F@#$@!# starter bolt to thread in, headers with a big oem starter is a pain in the ***.

-
Back