Starter is not cranking?

-

GupsTateS

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart w/ a 340. I was trying to fix some wiring issues and the msd blaster 2 coil accidentally took power to the negative and next thing I know car won't crank. I don't know If I just missed a wire somewhere or I actually killed something on my car.

This is what happens. I turn the key and the starter relay by the battery clicks but it won't engage the starter. Is there a way I can manually connect the terminals on the starter to power/ground and see if that's the issue or if its the relay that's killed.

If the relay clicks its probably ok . You could use a test light to check for the start signal down to the starter. I dont recommend playing with the starter under the car. You could weld a wrench in or burn holes in the trans cooler lines.

check battery cable connections 1st then jump the starter switch with a screwdriver, if it turns over then the starter is good and the switch is bad.

I connected the two leads coming off the starter together, and I'm getting nothing. Not a single noise or click. Can I assume the starters a loss? I have a mini starter I've been wanting to try out in there anyway. This might be the time...

Got it to crank, 1wild&crazyguy was right. Loose connection somehere at the battery, even thought I didnt touch the connections there. Probably a ground I would guess. Now no spark, go figure.

It sounds like you lost (opened) the big fat positive connection to the starter or the starter itself is bad. Check both of your battery connections too. If the relay clicks then it's probably good.

I JUST replaced my starter relay last week. It clicked, but it wouldn't kick over. If you use your multimeter, you can test to see if any power is coming out of the line that goes to your starter solenoid..

so, it turned out my relay was bad, even though it clicked....

The starter is fine now, that's no longer an issue. I bypassed the resistor and still nothing, that's not the issue either.

I have an msd blaster 2 going to my distrubutor. What should the input voltage to the blaster 2 be? and how do I check to see if this system is working?

Slowly, I'm narrowing down what could be wrong.

I did not check the voltage, I assume it should be 12v, Is this correct? I'll check it tonight.

I have a fuel pump that pretty much runs constantly, there's a switch I have to flip to get power to the car and this turns the pump on. Could this be causing the engine to flood and by why it's not starting?

if you bypass the resistor, it will be 12v.. if it is not bypassed, i think it should be 9v....

do you need a return line with your electric pump?

I'll take a better look at the fuel pump later, It was just a thought I half had. I really can't figure this out.

Back to the other question, how can I tell if the Blaster 2 is wired correctly and working properly?

You can run 12 volts to the Blstr 2 coil.

u could run a new wire from +batt to the + of coil, just in case there a broken circuit.

Points or electronic?

check condenser if points and or box if electric.

Awesome. Is there a way to tell if the blaster is working? I know the negative took 12 volts at some point briefly, and I'm thinking maybe it's fried.

haha. Yea, the sparks were a dead give away. I basically took something for granted that a previous owner had done. It didn't work out. I'm going to gut the electronics soon, but I want to at least get it to fire again!

Without having to buy one is there a way I can visually check if it's working? Checking for a spark somewhere...

well sure, hold a smidge away from the engine/iron,steel what ever and see if it spark jumps.

google coil testing and you'll see how to continuity test the coil terminals and coil wire.

I had the same problem when I put a 318 into a Duster. The problem turned out to be no ground at the ECU, then I got spark. Also are you using factory electronic ignition? Or aftermarket. If after market take the + lead from the distributor, remove all wires from the ballist resitor and conect the red wire and all ballast resitor wires together, and disconnect the ECU in the car.....Good Luck

-
Back