Starter issues need help please

-

BarelyaV-8

Reaction score
starter solenoid clicks but starter makes no noise and nothing cranks

This is after complete rebuild and install!

What am I missing here

First thing I would do is double check all of your connections, make sure they are clean and tight.

Had the battery charger on it and put it on a quick 75 amp starting and still just a click from the solenoid and no cranking at all...

the click runs off of the small wire. the starter moter turns of of the big wire, if the connections are good and you have 12 volts or more . the problem is in the starter

Just one big "clunk" As in a "heavy" clunk? Starter or flywheel problems,

Does the engine actually turn with a wrench?

Just one "light" click?

Might be starter relay

Try jumpering across the two large exposed terminals on the relay with pliers / screwdriver

Check voltage at big battery stud on relay with starter engaged. If it's below 10V you have battery / main cable problems

If that is OK, clip your meter to the large battery stud on the starter. Same deal. With relay bypassed, you should have at least 10V at the starter stud. If below that, main cables or dead / bad battery

Remember........"new" parts do not mean "functional" parts

Otherwise, some problem, binding, misalignment in flywheel / bell/ starter.

Just one big "clunk" As in a "heavy" clunk? Starter or flywheel problems,

Does the engine actually turn with a wrench?

Just one "light" click?

Might be starter relay

Try jumpering across the two large exposed terminals on the relay with pliers / screwdriver

Check voltage at big battery stud on relay with starter engaged. If it's below 10V you have battery / main cable problems

If that is OK, clip your meter to the large battery stud on the starter. Same deal. With relay bypassed, you should have at least 10V at the starter stud. If below that, main cables or dead / bad battery

Remember........"new" parts do not mean "functional" parts

Otherwise, some problem, binding, misalignment in flywheel / bell/ starter.

It's a light click as in your can hear the solenoid click but the starter does not engage! I can spin the crank easily with a socket! I don't think it's flywheel or flex plate problems as the assembly rotates nicely with transmission hooked up and motor in place!

What was the voltage at the relay and starter? Post above asking for that is right in for troubleshooting. I had a similar problem years ago with a battery that didn't have clean posts and wouldn't deliver the voltage needed till it was cleaned up.

Literally tapped it with a wrench and it fired up! Now to replace the oil filter housing I-ring because it leaks

jump the starter solonoid and if it turns...clean the connections on starter and solonoid...if no good switch out the solonoid....AND....maybe the rebuilt starter is screwed...happens...also ensure battery has at least 12.3 volts....

Literally tapped it with a wrench and it fired up!

Well, you didn't "fix" anything

giphy.gif

Well, you didn't "fix" anything
giphy.gif
Ditto. When I was a dumF kid (28 yr old professional, but car dumb) and preparing for a GA - CA drive for a summer job, my 69 Dart thunked a few times w/o turning, but started fine when I tried again. I figured "works now". Stopped near the Grand Canyon and no-start. Had to wait all day for the water truck to bring a new starter to the garage and cost $100. In the meantime, I took mine apart (slant 6, easy removal) and found the solenoid contact worn and pitted. I tried adding a backup washer. Maybe wacking the starter or peeing on it would have worked just to get on the road. Anyway, today I fix anything like that before I leave home. No more crossing fingers, they'll just get smashed.

Actually hitting a starter with a hammer can cause it to work, at least temporarily. As stated above, the main contact can become worn and be right on the hairy edge of not working and just a little tap will get 'er going. I had a my boat (GM engine) do the same thing over the summer. It wouldn't start (in the middle of the lake) until I hit it with a hammer. Turns out the brushes were so rusty they wouldn't move at all and were barely making contact. They actually disintegrated as soon as I touched them, needless to say I replaced the starter.

Actually hitting a starter with a hammer can cause it to work, at least temporarily. ................ Turns out the brushes were so rusty they wouldn't move at all and were barely making contact. They actually disintegrated as soon as I touched them, needless to say I replaced the starter.

Pretty much my point exactly LMAO

-
Back