Starter motor trouble?

-

Full_House

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my '65 Barracuda started to get it off to the shippers in LA. Put some fuel in it the other day and picked up a new battery today. I know it starts and runs as the guy I bought it from drove it onto the trailer for me.

When I first turned the key I got what I'm assuming was the starter motor whirring but no turning of the engine. I turned the key back to off and it took a few seconds for the whirring to stop. I tried it again and the engine turned, fired and ran for a few seconds, but the loud whirring panicked me a bit so I switched it off. Now all it does is whir, like a motor spinning freely on it's own. It doesn't turn the engine with it and I can't get it to stop - as soon as I connect the battery up the whirring starts, even with the key in the off position.

Any ideas? I'm tempted to say the starter ring is stripped but then it started it the first time. Also, early 'Cuda's are negative ground, correct?

Thanks.

Could be a fault in the starters wiring, down at the starter.

All 12V Mopars are NEG ground, yes

If it "whirs" with battery hooked up, this would not be a ring gear problem. Here's what I'd do.

Hook up the battery use two guys if possible so one guy can yank the battery terminal off

With the thing hooked up, tap on the starter relay. If it does not stop, pull off the two "push on" connectors

If that does not stop it, disconnect the small "square" screw terminal wire.

If THAT does not stop it, get underneath and tap it with a hammer.

Sounds like a stuck solenoid

And if THAT does not, refer to Red's comment above. The two starter terminals are close together, and if they short together, the starter will run.

OK, thanks. I had figured it was just something stuck - the fact that it won't stop with the ignition key in 'off'' was a giveaway.

I'll grab some tools from somewhere and have a look, then report back.

Thanks again.

-
Back