Starter not engaging sometimes

-

salami340

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 340 4 speed Demon in the summer of last year. Since I've had it has had an issue where the starter will not engage fully and grind a bit but then will engage on the next try. This happens maybe 1 out of every 10 times I turn the key. I took a look at the starter today to see if everything was tight and it was but I did notice that the front dust cover was missing (between the starter and bellhousing). All the teeth I can see on the fly wheel look good. I know it is thin metal but is it possible not having the the dust cover between the starter and the bellhousing cause the starter not to engage fully sometimes or is my starter just bad?

I doubt its the dust shield.
Possibly the starter begining to go.
Possibly a weak battery or poor connection.

I'd start with removing and cleaning the battery terminals and checking the battery condition.

What happens when it doesn't engage? Any noise/sound? More info needed.

I have seen the spiral that bendix slides on get burrs on it, does the same thing.

Actually went under the car to look at the starter gear while someone turned the key and I was wrong. The gear extends and engages with the ring gear every time. What happens is 1 time outta 10 the starter extends and engages the ring gear but looks like it freezes up and makes a grinding noise inside the starter

That's easy, replace with the newer style Dodge Dakota Mini Starter.

Spins faster, Starts Quicker

The starter bendix/or clutch drive is bad. The motor is spinning inside the drive when engaged. Now you have to ask yourself, do I like the sound of an old gear reduction drive Chrysler starter? Or do I want to install a Dakota starter. I know what my choice would be, old style, only one brand sounds like that.

-
Back