Starter Removal

-

clifhenning

Reaction score
I guess this is where this should go...

I can't for the life of me remove the starter on my '69 Valiant with a 273 V8. I took off the wires, bottom nut, and took out the top bolt and my understanding is that it should just come off without a problem. Mine's not budging. I tried placing a board on the otherside and hitting a few times with a mallet, not helping.

Any ideas?

I'm betting you removed the lowermost BLOCK bolt instead of the topmost starter bolt.
If it seemed "too easy" to remove, you probably did as I said above.

The top bolt is basically a real mother to get to with sockets, (a swivel or wobbly really helps) but comes out okay with a 5/8" box end wrench, though slowly.

Mark.`

I cut a 5/8 spanner in half and got in there with that. Its a pig to get out mind if the cars got the stock exhaust in place!!

Ahh, thanks. I'm pretty sure that I got the right one, but I'll check again. I'm new to A-bodies and LA engines... previous cars were a '95 Neon and a '99 Wrangler. ;)

But thanks! I'll surely check it out when I get the time to work on my car again. The exhaust is all out because I'm trying to get a set of Hooker Headers in, but I have power steering... ;)

Be glad that you have a 67- newer Abody. ;)

I used a 3 foot extension, plus another 9 inch,
and a 5/8 socket to get the top bolt.

Also, I had to have the steering loose to turn the pitman arm
out of the way to lower the starter when done.

I installed a "Dakota" smaller starter, much easier,
weighs half the old style, And cranks over the engine faster. :thumblef:

Ok, finally got the chance to check it out again, and I certainly got the right bolts out...
Something about it is weird. On the bottom bolt, all I had to do was remove a nut, not the bolt. Is it supposed to be that way?

I do have the exhaust off right now, and used a shorty 5/8" box end wrench, so it wasn't difficult at all.

yes. 1 is a bolt and 1 is a stud(fine thread). thats factory right there.

Ah, ok, I was told otherwise before.

Oh well, maybe I'll just order a ministarter already and take a crowbar to the thing without worrying about damaging it. ;)

Even though mine came loose I still had to dop the pitman arm and disasseble it in place to remove it piece by stinki'n piece because of the Hookers. The lame-o PO installed headers over a stock starter. MAKE SURE you put a mini starter in there if you install headers, otherwise it won't come out very easily ever again. The small ones come out pretty easy though, still have to drop the pitman.

Yeah, I'm putting new headers in (Hooker Comps), so I'll have to remove the pitman anyway.
Since I've been having this problem with the starter that I've been completely unable to get around, it's already been taking too long, so I can wait for the ministarter I ordered. ;)

Ok, can't even get anything between the starter and the bellhousing to try and pry it off. Somebody recommended trying a heat gun and lube to loosen it up, and that didn't work either... If I knew I'd have this much trouble with just the starter, I would have never taken the manifolds off. =)

I have seen alot of corrsion build up on daily drivers around the stud. Try
soaking it with penatrant over night. Might help. Sometimes I had to take a
torch to the starter, heat it up to remove. Good luck, Green Duster.

The stud actually looks like one of the cleanest parts underneath the car, and the underneath is clean to begin with. I have been using generous amounts of WD40 however.
I guess the next thing to try is a torch. I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to.

Might be time to break out the BFH if you're sure you got the right bolts out and aren't planning on re-using it...

It was the bottom stud. It seems a bit too large and screwed into the starter. As soon as I removed the stud, the starter just dropped.
Worked 51+ hour weeks these past two weeks, so only just got the chance to try it. ;)

Thanks all for the help!

clifhenning said:
It was the bottom stud. It seems a bit too large and screwed into the starter. As soon as I removed the stud, the starter just dropped.
Worked 51+ hour weeks these past two weeks, so only just got the chance to try it. ;)

Thanks all for the help!

If you have the thing still apart,
i suggest using a smaller starter, like
A "Dakota" one, etc. :)

That is definitely the HARD way to do it! Not sure if I could even find where it comes out of the transmission!! :violent1:

Ace said:
That is definitely the HARD way to do it! Not sure if I could even find where it comes out of the transmission!! :violent1:

I've done it a bunch of times, that doing it that way was the easiest I've found.

:notworth: Wow man, I'd like to know what job you think is hard?!!

-
Back