Starter Removal

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I'm pulling the old starter which is cooked out of the 65 Dart. Top bolt is a bugger but not as much of a problem as wiggling out with the torsion bar, center link and steering arm in the way, does not look like enough room. Any suggestions here? Car has stock manifolds.

Hey 65Vart,you might want to just undo the motor mounts from underneath and lift the engine alittle for starter clearance.Did you find a mini-starter at B&D Auto wreckers?If yes,how much?

Hey 65Vart,you might want to just undo the motor mounts from underneath and lift the engine alittle for starter clearance.Did you find a mini-starter at B&D Auto wreckers?If yes,how much?
B&D had one left in a red Dak V6. It looked pretty rusted so I left it. It would have been easy to remove because it was up in the air on a rack. I had to hunt around a bit. One of the yard dudes told me things are always moving in there. They take your name before you go in in case you don't come out alive LOL. Cool place though.

Hi Vart Had to replace mine ( Mopar gods smiling ) while on the rack at a shop. We did it but had to get the smallest guy with hands like a little girl's for that top bolt and after twisting, turning, angling, along with some words I wouldn't use in front of children and ready to give up.....the reverse of the exit angle was found and it slid in.

Yeah I know a guy that works in there,he,s tall with curly blondish hair.His name is Cameron.Maybe ask him to grab one for you if one comes in?He,s good that way.

I,m pretty sure I have a couple good big ones,if your stuck?

Every time I've pulled my starter on My Dart it's always a bugger. Usually get success with Universal, and a couple long extensions to get rachet in a spot I can get some torque on it. If I remember right, I always do it from underneath.

My thought, Once you get the bolts out, move it far enough forward until you can drop the gear down, then turn slightly as you roll it down and towards the back of the car.

The stock large starter is a pain to remove,
I had my car up on 2 sets of jack stands, and turned the steering linkage
to one side and then the other.

When putting in another starter I suggest uing the small
Nipondenso {newer Dakota etc} starter.

remove all exhaust studs so its off the lt manifold use a wobble and 3 in ext for top starter nut barley jack up back of the engine like 1/2 pump use a person with small hands twist the starter bendix down and out to driver side it will be tight but will come out takes an hour out and in.

YOU NEVER SAID WHAT MOTOR YOU HAVE . ON MY 340 dUSTER I FOUND PLENTY OF ROOM AFTER I TURNED THE WHEELS AS FAR TO THE RIGHT AS THEY WOULD GO. AFTER THAT I HAD PLENTY OF ROOM . HOPE THIS HELPS IN THE FUTURE.

YOU NEVER SAID WHAT MOTOR YOU HAVE . ON MY 340 dUSTER I FOUND PLENTY OF ROOM AFTER I TURNED THE WHEELS AS FAR TO THE RIGHT AS THEY WOULD GO. AFTER THAT I HAD PLENTY OF ROOM . HOPE THIS HELPS IN THE FUTURE.
Thks man, 273 in a 65, I never had a problem with my 340 Duster either.

How about a 65 dart convert with a 340 any suggestions?

How about a 65 dart convert with a 340 any suggestions?
All I can say is the top bolt was a ***** with the old starter, I got it out and sat the starter on the C-Link. Crawled out from under the car , turned the wheel all the way to the pass side and bingo the sweet sound of the pig hitting the floor. The mini went in like a hotdog down a hallway. I do suggest you get a 5/8 half moon or Cwrench. it makes that top bolt a lot easier to tighten. I got a whole set for 12.99.

-
Back