Starter Replacement

-

bob7four

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Barracuda with a 318. Are there any issues I need to be aware of when replacing the starter?

Should be straight forward. Is it the original or a mini starter? It's been awhile since I've removed and replaced the big original one.

IIRC the stud nut on top is 11/16". I use a 6" extension with a normal length socket to reach it.

I highly recommend replacing it with a mini starter. They are a lot smaller/lighter and have a lot more starting power.

But have the battery disconnected, don't make a ROOKIE mistake, it could be costly. LOL

yes, replace with RAM mini starter if possible. You already got it out....sometimes the lugs are very close to block, just insulate if your using them in stock form.

We're assuming that you just have the stock exhaust manifolds and not headers. Get the car up on a good set of jack stands so you can turn the steering if needed for clearance. Disconnect the battery! The starter wires are up to you. If you want to remove them first, go for it. If there is no room, pull the starter down with them attached and remove them at that point. I like to remove the upper bolt first, and then the lower nut and transmission cooling line bracket (if so equipped). that way you don't have to hold the starter up while removing the upper bolt. Still, keep a hand on the starter so it doesn't flop and mash a finger. Same goes for wangling that thing out of there. Move slowly and keep your fingers safe from being between the starter and a hard place. Reverse the procedure to install. Once you get the starter back in the hole, run the bottom nut up finger tight against the starter. Then install the upper bolt. Tighten both evenly once you're sure it's seated properly against the bellhousing. If you bolt it down uneven or trap something between the starter and the bellhousing, you could crack something.....usually a starter ear, but, I've seen bellhousings get broken too. I don't know why you're replacing your starter, but, while you have it out, I'd take a good look at the ring gear on the converter/flywheel to make sure teeth aren't missing or badly damaged.

It is the original starter with no headers. Thinking full or shorties down the road so I guess the mini would be a good choice at this point. Thanks for the solid feedback.

-
Back