Starter Will Not Disengage

-

75ValiantBrougham

Reaction score
As the title says starter will not disengage unless the battery is disconnected while running. When the ignition is turned off without manually disengaging the starter it will keep turning over. I have only replaced starter relay and did not solve the issue. This is on a mild 318, 80,000 miles, cheap summit headers, edelbrock performer intake 1405 carb, msd wires and blaster 2 coil with new orange box and ballast. A/C system has also been deleted.
Any help would be much appretiated!

wires shorted together at the starter ?

The wires on the starter were fine, I had taken them off and cleaned up the connection, the only wire I couldnt check on the starter relay was the bottom right wire that went across the firewall and down by the tranny to somewehre. Im about to go jack the car up again and check.

The brown wire on the starter relay goes to the neutral safety switch on the trans. I dont think it is related to your problem.

Could be malfeasance going on inside the solenoid

Could be the pair of wires going down to the solenoid.

could be the relay (you replaced)

could be something keeping the yellow start wire hot, but putting the shifter in any gear except park/ neutral should stop it.

First remove the two "push on" connectors off the relay, if that does not kill it,

Second thing do do is unhook the wire coming off the relay and going to the solenoid "start" terminal, that's the smaller wire hooked to the "square" exposed relay terminal.

If that does not shut it off, check the two wires going to the solenoid for shorts.

If that seems OK, remove the small solenoid wire at the starter, and it THAT doesn't kill it, it's in the starter solenoid.

If you can, take the wires off at the starter. After you disconnect the
battery.
Then hook up the battery making sure the main power wire won't ground
on some thing. Take a test light and check power at both termanls.
You should only have power on the small wire when crancking it.
If you have power there all the time it probley is the relay.If not, it's
the starter.
Let's see what happens.

Well looks like im going to need a new starter, im just kicking myself because i knew i should of put on a mini starter when i did the headers, i still have nightmares from when i put them on! Thanks for everyones help!

Your starter just may need to be properly lubricated. Take it off and check the solenoid/bendix gear movement. Sometimes they hang up in old mopars after they've been in the elements for a few years. If you're really handy take it apart and see that the solenoid and all the electrics are in good shape. I'm guessing you'll find something not quite right in there.

Yeah he could lube it up. But if it go's out again he would be beating himself
up for not changing it. I would put in a new mini starter. Very reasonable at
the part stores. Remember they are all the same. A 95 Dakota spins over
my Duster.

If the starter keeps spinning, with the engine running, it becomes a new alternator, and fries things.

-
Back