Starter Wrap

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone is using a starter heat wrap and if so what are you using and where did you get it. I found one on mancini's site and I am thinking about getting it. What are the findings of how these work?
Thanks
Rod

In theory, a starter should not be wrapped. If the starter overheats, the wrap will hold in the heat. The starter will also pull heat from the block and a wrap will hold in the heat. A good deflector shield should be used. I have even seen holes drilled in the stater end cap, on race cars, for airflow.

Just my opinion, but I've never been a fan of any kind of "wrap", on starters or headers. Seems like it would catch and hold dirt, oil, water and more. There are several people who like the idea of wrapping headers. But that's suppose to keep heat in! Doesn't seem like a good idea for a starter. Besides, starters and their bolts and connections are usually difficult enough to get at without having a wrap to fight. I don't know of anyone who wraps their starter.

A shield to protect it from header heat would be a better idea.

Am I having a problem with heat soak, No. But in order to get my starter in I had to bend one of the headers tubes and I still only have 1/4" at the most. I am trying to keep from having any issues. I have not started this car yet and its going to be at least another 2 months until I try to fire it for the first time. Heres a link to my starter clearance post. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=301156
You will see how close this is.
Rod

-
Back