Starter?

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
So this weekend I got my 408 installed. I went to start it and the starter doesn't seem to turn it over fast enough. I'm using a stock style magnum starter. My comp ratio is 11.57:1. It's putting a pretty good strain on my battery. Is the starter not enough? What do you guys recommend?

So this weekend I got my 408 installed. I went to start it and the starter doesn't seem to turn it over fast enough. I'm using a stock style magnum starter. My comp ratio is 11.57:1. It's putting a pretty good strain on my battery. Is the starter not enough? What do you guys recommend?
Higher cold cranking amp rating.
The battery is 'imo' the problem.

What battery would you recommend. I do in fact have a Mopar battery rated at 750cca
750? That's decent, I think you should just get a start retard wired in.
A dial like msd sells...you just turn the knob back 5 degrees or so to ease the load on the starter. They have a box that does it.

Is it kicking back against the starter? You may have a bad starter, cables, or a bad ground. You can also hook the distributor wire to a switch and crank the engine over then turn the ignition on. That will take care of the kickback against the starter if it's what you are experiencing.

Is it kicking back against the starter? You may have a bad starter, cables, or a bad ground. You can also hook the distributor wire to a switch and crank the engine over then turn the ignition on. That will take care of the kickback against the starter if it's what you are experiencing.
I pulled plugs 123468 and left 5 and seven there. It turned no problem till it hit those cylinders. I then put the battery charger on and it was showing 48% so maybe that's it. I'll keep the post up just in case

Pretty sure my battery is spanked! At 65% it's worse then it was at 48%
If it's a Mopar reproduction battery it probably has a couple motorcycle sized Lithium batteries in the case. You should be able to see them by removing the cap. Those batteries don't like a rapid charge. You should trickle charge them over time. Mine was pretty much dead and I revived it but I trickled it for a couple weeks.

Is this a racecar?? I dont have any kind of retard set-up on my racecar..... I simply turn on the fuel, then crank...once its spinning good, i hit the ignition switch and BAM!!! Very easy on the starter that way.

Is this a racecar?? I dont have any kind of retard set-up on my racecar..... I simply turn on the fuel, then crank...once its spinning good, i hit the ignition switch and BAM!!! Very easy on the starter that way.
Pretty much yes, goal was to take it to the track but.... Only thing is I can't even get it to crank now. All it wants to do is click

My Ram cranked 451 at 10.8 kicked over faster than the slant with the old starter. Like 2x faster. Sounded like a Toyota starting...until it actually started.

That's why I said it sounds like his battery is weak.
Chrysler starters are pretty sturdy at 4-1 ratio.
...But for Chevy guys they have that starter retard switch. Lol

-
Back