Starting engine, 12 years since run

-

john schutz

Valient Effort
Reaction score
Barn find, 63 Valient; Engine does turn, its a slant 6, told it ran before retirement, it has been 12 years since. Do not want to put gas in the old (sure it is foul and dirty) tank for the fresh start effort, can I drop a line into a fresh can of gas just before fuel pump to by pass old tank? Has fluids and fresh oil.

Any other cautions. Any suggestions. John

Sure can had a 74 Valiant that ran off a Big Gatorade bottle that was sip tied to a piece of 90 degree bent aluminum sheet and screwed into the trunk floor and 73 340 Duster that ran off a Sangria Bottle Zip Tied to the inner fender.

Also before firing replace the line from pump to carb with a filter in between to catch any crud from the pump before reaching the carb

I have dun this many time and it is a good move and keep junk from getting in your carb, just make sure to have it a few feet away from the engine bay , I would pore 1/2 a quart of trans fluid down the carb and let it lub up and clear the valves a bit and bump it over after 1 minute to open the other intake valves to let the fluid get to your rings if they are stuck and most likely are.. wait about 15 minutes and fire her up..

I would "almost" do that

Instead of using the pump, I'd put a can "safely" above, siphon down into the carb inlet

Squirt a bit of motor oil into each cylinder and crank it a bit, establish oil pressure

-
Back