Starting Gracie Ju-Jitsu with my daughter tomorrow..

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
I have always hoped to introduce my daughters to the martial arts whenever they became interested in it. Not just so they can defend themselves in an increasingly dangerous world, but also for the confidence and character it builds. I found an awesome course developed specifically for children. It is called "Gracie Bullyproof". If you are at all interested in the martial arts you know who the Gracies are. The course was developed from the system of teaching their family has used over three generations of training very large families. I read a lot about the course and everyone talked about how, long before the actual Ju-Jitsu training started (you start with a whole series of "games" that are just fun and get them started getting used to the physical contact and moves over a year or so), their children became much more confident and carried themselves differently. Shy children started participating more in class at school and making more friends, etc. The reviews were 100% positive. The first thing I noticed from the first DVD, which is the instructional disc for parents, is that these guys have some real insight into teaching children that can be applied not only to training but to everyday life and schooling. That is especially valuable to us since we are homeschooling our children. I am starting to train my oldest daughter tomorrow and she is pumped. (She looks so cute in her little gi). She is almost 5 and we have already been playing around and practicing basic stuff for a month or so while I checked out this course. It is focused on building their confidence and character so they can avoid bullies in the first place but also teaches them how to defend themselves with techniques aimed at subduing and controlling the bully, not hurting them. No punches and kicks. That can come later when she is more mature and is spending more time away from us where the possibility of having to deal with an adult attacker increases. There is even a bonus DVD about teaching them how to avoid, and if necessary deal with, drug dealers and kidnappers etc. I am really looking to forward to this. Not only will it be very beneficial in her life but it gives me an excuse to spend lots of time playing with her! If anyone wants to check the course out it is here:

http://www.gracieacademy.com/storeitem.asp?r=75015

Sounds like a pretty good course, and it's never too young to get them going especially on the basics. I hope there is some emphasis in the course on awareness. I preach this in my self defense sessions as I constantly see people walking down the street, in parking lots, etc., that have no clue of what's going on around them. I've seen countless people walking and talking or texting on cell phones who would be an easy target for most anyone up to no good. Proper awareness will go a long way toward discouraging many assaults and confrontations. Hope all goes well with the training.

Sounds like a pretty good course, and it's never too young to get them going especially on the basics. I hope there is some emphasis in the course on awareness. I preach this in my self defense sessions as I constantly see people walking down the street, in parking lots, etc., that have no clue of what's going on around them. I've seen countless people walking and talking or texting on cell phones who would be an easy target for most anyone up to no good. Proper awareness will go a long way toward discouraging many assaults and confrontations. Hope all goes well with the training.
You are doing your students a great service that some instructors leave out. Staying alert and aware of your surroundings is one of the best things you can do to stay safe. This course devotes an entire DVD to teaching children the to just that as well as how to identify potential bad guys and how to deal with being offered drugs or alcohol. I have only previewed this one since it is later in her training but it looks very good.

Been doing Gracie jiujitsu for a little over a year now. I love it. I read about the bullyproof jiujitsu from Gracie. Great thing for kids. I train at Gracie Barra and we have a ton of kids at our academy. Really fun and gets you in shape too. Enjoy

I was in the Butoku-Kai for 10+ years, we also preached a lot about awareness, you always see kids walking along kicking a can or whatever without a clue what is going on around them. The first rule of self defense is, don't be there, in other words see the potential danger and avoid it

-
Back