Starting Issues 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger 318

-

71318Swinger

Reaction score
Hello
I am having troubles with starting,

I am not getting a spark coming out of the coil, so i think it is something before that because i know it is not the coil i replaced it once already and the old one and the knew one both had proper resistance, i have no idea what it could be if you have any idea's please let me know and i can get voltage and resistance readings that anyone can think of i can take and post em up.

Check the ballast resistor ( ceramic thingy on the firewall ) or just put a temporary jumper wire across it and try the start.

Your coil might be grounding out. Check the wires leading to and from to see if they are freyed. I know that there is a simple way you can force the coil to ground for a low budget anti theft device by running an additional wire from the positive terminal to a switch under the dash (grounded to body).

I went out and checked the wires coming off the coil and i found on the coming from the resistor to the coil a good size split in the insulation so i cut it out and used a but connector to connect for the time being until my engine bay wiring harness comes in and still do not have anything

The wire was beautiful where i stripped it back for to use the but connectors and thats only going to be a temporary fix till i can get the harness or the proper color wire and the readings i am getting now are the battery is reading 12.22 v
the resistor is reading 8.44 on the right side and 11.09 on the left side and the coild is reading 8.42 on the positive and 6.00 on the negative, where the wire comes from the reistor to the alternator is reading 11.02 these are with the car in the on position

I had the car on the charger all evening and just now i pulled it off since itwas at full charge and just to see what would happen i turned it over and it ran for about thirty seconds and died know im really confused

Take the battery to autozone or something and have it checked for free, battery sounds dead.

the reason i didnt suspect the battery earlier is because it is holding a strong charge around 12.2 or so but i will pull it and bring it to the store after work tommarow

I agree!

Are you sure that the problem is before the coil? Check the points and condenser.

I have already replaced the points and condenser and i have a spark tester and im not getting a spark out of the wire from the coil to the distributor

This may sound crazy but have you checked out your ignition switch to ensure that you are getting voltage out on the Ignition 2 circuit. The switch for my 68 Barracuda is not hot on Ignition 1 when the engine is cranking. If you are checking voltage with the switch in the run position, you can have juice going to the ignition system but not have any while cranking if Ignition 2 side is bad.

If the switch is good you need to check at the ballast resistor to see if current is making it through the firewall and other "good" wiring on our old Mopars.

If you have points and a condenser it makes troubleshooting really easy. If you have anywhere close to 12v at the positive side of the coil and the negative side connected to the points/condenser then you should get spark every time the points close. Check or change the condenser again and make sure it's only going to the points and coil and not grounding out elsewhere. You've either got a bad condenser/capacitor or a bad coil.

I'm Not getting a spark coming out of my coil. and i changed the wiring harness today, so now everything is new on that circuit the oldest parts maybe three years old on it which would be the starter and the alternator within the last two weeks i replaced the coil the points the condensor the voltage regulator and the resistor. so now im trying to check the ignition switch and i got the stearing wheel off and a few more bits down and i have goten to the wheel locking mechanism and i cant get the cog off anyone know how that works?

-
Back