Starting problem -'71 340 Duster

-

Vs29H1B

Reaction score
This evening I hopped into my 1971 Duster 340, gave the gas pedal a couple of pumps, and turned the ignition key to the start position.

The car cranked a couple of revolutions, but did not start. This is, BTW, quite typical of this car, after sitting for a couple days. Usually just pumping the gas pedal a couple more times, then turning the ignition key to the Start position starts the car. The car still has the points distributor installed and the Thermoquad.

On the second start attempt tonight, when I turn the ignition key to the Start position, all I get is a slight diming of the Red BRAKE lamp that illuminates on the dash.

No clicking, no starter engagement, no noise, no nothing, just the diming of the Red BRAKE lamp on the dash.

The battery seems to be strong, so where do I start looking for the problem, and what procedure should be used to test all parts of the starting circuit.

I am thinking I may have either a bad starter relay on the inner fender, a bad starter, or perhaps the cable to the relay or starter is bad.

How do I eliminate each component in the starting circuit, and in what sequence, to find the bad part?

Any help is appreciated.

The starter relay would be my first move and make sure all cables are tight.
If the starter was bad the relay will still click.

As suggested prior, ensure all your conections are "clean" and tight. If your (+) lead is covered by rubber, insure no acid has gone under it and eaten away or though the wires, this would also reduce you starting current.

How olds the battery?
As well, if still no joy and to eleminate the battery, you may want to take it in for a bench test. Batterys will brake down in time. They will show 12volts (the push) no problem, however the amps within could be gone. Basicly the cells within the battery can be shot requiring a replacement. Any recharging of this kind of problem I believe will not help this situation.

Guys thanks for the insights.

It's about 20 degrees Farenheit outside right now, so I may hold off until the weekend.

The battery, on the first start attempt, was strong.

What about the neutral safety switch going bad? How to test?

Thanks again.

Found the problem---Wire for the neutral safety switch on the drivers side of the 727, was almost hanging completly off the switch!

Cleaned, re-attached, car starts right up!

Thanks guys for all your help!

Vs29H1B said:
Found the problem---Wire for the neutral safety switch on the drivers side of the 727, was almost hanging completly off the switch!

Cleaned, re-attached, car starts right up!

Thanks guys for all your help!

Cool :thumbup: :thumbup:

-
Back