Starting problems/damage to engine

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ive been experiencing a lot of trouble getting my slant to start, My question is could I be causing damage to the engine by cranking to much, Ive had a lot of short cranking spurts to check spark etc. Gas not being a great lubricant worries me as Ive never had to try this many times to start.

Ive been experiencing a lot of trouble getting my slant to start, My question is could I be causing damage to the engine by cranking to much, Ive had a lot of short cranking spurts to check spark etc. Gas not being a great lubricant worries me as Ive never had to try this many times to start.
I had a similar starting issue. Yes, the gas will wash your cylinder walls quickly. Check your engine oil dipstick for a strong smell of gas. When in doubt change it as well as the filter.

I checked my oil, it smells a little like gas not strong though. I just changed the oil and added Lucas zinc additive before this problem. (Oil change with 0 miles)!

I checked my oil, it smells a little like gas not strong though. I just changed the oil and added Lucas zinc additive before this problem. (Oil change with 0 miles)!
I guess it all depends on how long you were pumping gas into your motor. If you have "0'' miles on the oil should you be smelling gas?

The question should be - Why is so hard to start - fix that issue and you will fix the gas in the oil issue.
Start with the basics.

The question should be - Why is so hard to start - fix that issue and you will fix the gas in the oil issue.
Start with the basics.
Well, I believe he's trying to determine that, but worrying about the repercussions of his attempts while diagnosing. That seems rather basic.

Start with the basics.
Your right I am working on the hard to start issue again tomorrow.

Keep it simple

Compression, spark, and fuel

ENOUGH compression to start. Consider a compression / leakdown check. Maybe there is something wrong in the valvetrain, AKA not enough lash, out of time cam

Spark, a good spark and in time. You can check timing on the starter. Check the plugs for wet/ dry/ fouled. Check the spark with a solid core wire. When cranked WITH THE KEY the coil should produce at least a 3/8" nice hot blue spark

Fuel, fresh. Don't take it for granted. Easy. take an empty oil "can" poke a hole in the screw on lid, and fill half? way with fuel. BANG!!! The residual oil and fuel makes the perfect priming mixture

And........you have a good battery? Is it charged? Does the starter spin it over briskly? Does it "sound" like it has compression, or sound as if it's just free spinning?

-
Back