Starting turbo!

-

scamp73

Reaction score
Just won my turbo yesturday and got some stainless shorty headers today.
its going to be a single setup with intercooler, im going to use the stock engine with ported magnum heads, and singleplane intake. Im also using a Megasquirt system for efi.

So how much power do you think the stock 318 will take? its a 88 roller cam engine. Im going to purpose build a stroker for the turbo, but until then.....

$200 for a new holset h2d turbo and $200 for the headers
$377 for all the MS stuff and harness, still have to get the wideband o2 sensor $200, fuel pump $300, reg. $120, intercooler $? and still tune it all, any thoughts

Steve

well, hypereutectic factory pistons, and Megasquirt? I think you'll be lucky to get thru the tuning phase without a piston reverting back to it's powdered form. You must be very careful to keep your fuel ang ignition settings conservative. Any detonation while tuning/setup can fracture those pistons. Once it's set, and survives things, keep timing down, and the mix on the rich side under any boost, and it should live.

Ditto on the tuning. Aside from that, I'd say you could probably get about 400 (that really depends on the tune and piston strength) on the stock shortblock. If you upgraded to forged pistons, you could make about 500 before the rods would leave the block I imagine. How much boost are you planning on running? I wouldn't put more then about 7psi on it with those pistons...

well im just going to use this engine for now while i build my other engine.
R3 seimese block, forged crank, Eagle rods?, and forged pistons.
Im going to use magnum ported heads also.
I plan on making over 700hp on pump gas. And with better tuning i could see 900hp on pump gas if i up the cubes.

I was thinking a 4in stroker crank offset ground for a 2.0 rod (chevy) making for a bigger stroke and boring it to 4.18. and then adding w9 heads as the last piece fo the engine, for some really sick hp.

Steve

Sounds like that will be a killer combination. A friend of mine is doing a Turbocharged 73 Dart sport. He's using a pretty much stock bigblock for now. He is hoping for 10's on that combination, then building another motor.

Callies makes an ultralight 4.15 stroke crank (weighs 34lbs.) that comes ground for the chevy rods. That coupled with the R3 block boring capabilities could get you a 470+cu in smallblock.

I went with the 340 replacement block (4bolt mains, thick webs, etc.) 4" forged crank, h-beam rods, and ross forged pistons. Eventually I would like to see around 750whp after all the tuning, etc. Of course I need a belt to drive mine, lol.

What fuel system are you going with? Line sizes, pump, etc.? What kind of intercooler (air to air, air to water, water/methanol injection, etc.)?

i didn't know about that crank!!
Aeromotive 1000 pump and reg.
42# injectors
still haven't decided on an intercooler. i would like to do a water to air, but it won't have an effect on the street.
I think its -10 to pump -8 out.

Steve

Scamp73, I think I would go with a shorter stroke then the 4" with a turbo if you want any traction.

scamp73 said:
i didn't know about that crank!!
Aeromotive 1000 pump and reg.
42# injectors
still haven't decided on an intercooler. i would like to do a water to air, but it won't have an effect on the street.
I think its -10 to pump -8 out.

Steve

That pump is a 10an in and out. I actually just ordered one. If you haven't bought one yet ebay has them the cheapest w/ a 10micron filter.

where i see them for the same price as summit

Steve

muslemotors store at ebay sells the A1000 pump and a 10micron filter for 367 shipped. Summit sells the pump for 295? and the filter for 89.99. Your gonna need a filter anyways.

My Dodge SRT-4 is making almost 300 horse and its just a 4 banger. The turbo on that thing is way small too. But it still ran a 13.9 at 105 smoking a 5.0 mustang on slicks. MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

$450 sounds good to me. Still have to get the wide band and fuel system done before i can try it on the 318. Then its getting the R3 340 asembled, and backhalfing it and caging it. Still along way to go, but hopefully before next racing season.

Steve

heck I am making 400HP at the wheels with a 2.2. That 318 should be awesome powerful once you get all the bugs worked out. You might want an exhaust gas temperature guage as well if you going to be hitting the boost hard.

iroc R/T said:
heck I am making 400HP at the wheels with a 2.2. That 318 should be awesome powerful once you get all the bugs worked out.
That's kind of apples and oranges. But it is an interesting comparison just the same.

42lbs injectors are only good to about 500hp. If you want 700hp, then you better get some 52lbs or bigger injectors.

i need 94's for 1000hp. which im shooting for in the r3 combo.
Im going to backhalf it and cage it before i do the turbo system so i have more room int he engine bay.

Steve

ive talked to the guy with the 73 dart sport (talked about a trader for it)
I got my water to air intercooler. Very nice unit. bolts on a carb intake then uses a ford tb on the side (cheap). and a tank in the back. Im going to use a tranny cooler in the line to cool it for the street and use ice water at the track. been at stand still, will be till after december, but im getting some new quaters (need them to stretch wheelwells.)

So 4linked turbo scamp. But with cop wheels and dog dish caps, bench seat and the stock gold...sleeper..kind of

Steve

well, i think im going back to n/a, W9 setup. looking for 600hp+ with pump gas, if i need more ill go with a supercharger setup. I just haven't dedcided if im going efi or not....

Steve

Why did you decide not to go with turbos. I would really like to see some turboed mopar cars out there.

alot of work, i would end up making to much power :) i may still do it..

Steve

Too much power? Is that possible? With a turbo its always just a twist of the boost controller or a different spring in the wastegate away.

Do it. I had/am having the same issues with my Scamp, and I have don't even have to worry about half the stuff you do. This stuff adds up quick. I had to change motor combinations a couple of times. I finally decided it doesn't matter how long it takes me or how much money I have to spend to get what I want. It's going to be done. I won't be happy with it unless it is exactly what I want. I imagine you are the same way.

yeah im going with it, to much power? who was i kiddin?
I think i found someone who will do it for a nice price. I may be upgrading to a bigger turbo already.

Steve

-
Back