Starts idling rough when warmed up

-

OZ67CUDA

Reaction score
I'm gonna take us back to when my barracuda was a 273 car. It would run fine until it reached what I would call operating temp. At this point it would start "bogging down" prompting me to put it in neutral at the lights, lights change, put it back in drive & she stalls, starts up right away and away you go, next lights same thing. Now move forward 2 years, I have a 340 in there, new carb, ignition, most things new but the same thing is the trans & convertor & I have the same problem. Is my convertor stalling to low when it gets to operating temp causing the engine to stall when I put it back in drive at the lights. I have held the brake on hard & revved the engine in drive and I believe the stall is around 1800. This is long winded so I will add some more later if you need me to.

my quarter bet on fuel percolating. 'tis the season

I'm gonna take us back to when my barracuda was a 273 car. It would run fine until it reached what I would call operating temp. At this point it would start "bogging down" prompting me to put it in neutral at the lights, lights change, put it back in drive & she stalls, starts up right away and away you go, next lights same thing. Now move forward 2 years, I have a 340 in there, new carb, ignition, most things new but the same thing is the trans & convertor & I have the same problem. Is my convertor stalling to low when it gets to operating temp causing the engine to stall when I put it back in drive at the lights. I have held the brake on hard & revved the engine in drive and I believe the stall is around 1800. This is long winded so I will add some more later if you need me to.

The stall speed would go higher with temps increase, so I think you have a different issue also.

Thankyou all for the replies. Its winter in Australia so I doubt its the fuel percolating. The amazing thing is it did the same thing with a completely different engine, carb, intake...different everything except the trans & convertor. Actually it was the same ignition, anyone think timing could go out when hot?

Thankyou all for the replies. Its winter in Australia so I doubt its the fuel percolating. The amazing thing is it did the same thing with a completely different engine, carb, intake...different everything except the trans & convertor. Actually it was the same ignition, anyone think timing could go out when hot?

Mopar igniton box , the orange ones due that a lot ?

Mmmm it is the chrome one but I wonder if it is getting to much heat cos I have it mounted on the fire wall above the back of the motor, I might put a heat sink of some sort behind it to pull some heat away

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 92
-
Back