Static Oil Leak Help Suggestions???????????

-

J&Bs71Demon

Reaction score
The Demons 360 has an oil leak that is leaking about a quart of oil overnight. I see no drips or flows while the engine is running. It appears to come from the high rear of the engine on the passenger side. The area around the rear main and oil pan is dry as is around the oil filter. I've looked at the oil sender and it's dry also. The valve covers seem dry also. Anybody have any thoughts short of pulling the engine?

It has to be something down low since it leaks so much. There's no way a quart of oil could leak out of the valve covers after it's shut off unless it were an old engine with the drain back holes plugged up. Double check the oil filter again and if your using a 90 degree oil filter adapter check it closely. A quart of oil is a tremendous amount to leak and should be obvious.

By the location you describe I would look to the oil filter or adapter. It also sounds like oil could be ponding in the right rear corner of the head and leaking from a bad valve cover gasket. Did you change the oil lately? If so it`s possible for the oil filter that`s been removed to leave it`s gasket on the engine. If that`s the case you may have two gaskets on the filter. Usually this will leak when the engine is running, not when it`s off. You should be able to fix most every leak without having to pull the engine. If you`re losing a quart of oil overnight you could sit there and watch it drip out. Lol! Even 1/2 teaspoon of oil will appear huge when left to spread out fully. Hope you find it.

Try cleaning and drying all of the subject areas and wrap them with toilet paper. Leave it overnight ,when you return the following day look to see if the the paper is wet with oil.

That's a cool way to do it I was gonna suggest baby powder....this sounds like the same thing as mullinax's car is doing,
Try cleaning and drying all of the subject areas and wrap them with toilet paper. Leave it overnight ,when you return the following day look to see if the the paper is wet with oil.

1 qt static in 12 hours should be visible within 5 minutes, that's damn near 1/2 cup per hour!

Wash well and towel dry. Should be easy to find.

It has to be something down low since it leaks so much. There's no way a quart of oil could leak out of the valve covers after it's shut off unless it were an old engine with the drain back holes plugged up. Double check the oil filter again and if your using a 90 degree oil filter adapter check it closely. A quart of oil is a tremendous amount to leak and should be obvious.
Thanks, I agree a quart is a lot to lose. I should have given more information but the engine has been rebuilt and just started. I did not use a 90 degree adapter and used a WIX short filter. Thanks again I'll look at the oil filter.

By the location you describe I would look to the oil filter or adapter. It also sounds like oil could be ponding in the right rear corner of the head and leaking from a bad valve cover gasket. Did you change the oil lately? If so it`s possible for the oil filter that`s been removed to leave it`s gasket on the engine. If that`s the case you may have two gaskets on the filter. Usually this will leak when the engine is running, not when it`s off. You should be able to fix most every leak without having to pull the engine. If you`re losing a quart of oil overnight you could sit there and watch it drip out. Lol! Even 1/2 teaspoon of oil will appear huge when left to spread out fully. Hope you find it.
Thanks, the paper idea is a good one! New oil against a new block is hard to spot.

1 qt static in 12 hours should be visible within 5 minutes, that's damn near 1/2 cup per hour!

Wash well and towel dry. Should be easy to find.
Thanks I'm going to clean, dry and use the paper idea.

A quart of oil on the floor would look like a tanker spill in the ocean. I worked at an oil change place and one of the guys was pumping oil in a Jeep Cherokee and those have a baffle in the filler tube, he got almost a quart in before realizing nothing was going in...what a mess. It went everywhere. The paper towel idea is a good one, I would have never thought it

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I was disgustdisgusted with it and walked away from it for over a month. I went out an hour ago to take another look. The problem turned out to be the oil filter with a very slight crack in it.
Thanks again!:cheers:

-
Back