Statin users....

-
I was on statins for 3 years and I had some of the muscle aches. I was tired of feeling like crap all the time so we changed or diet and started walking at night.
I lost 40 lbs and no longer have to take medication for my high chlorestorol ,was over 300.
Hardest thing I ever did, gave up eating red meat and changing my diet with smaller portions.
Don't get discouraged and keep trying.

With us it's the opposite.2 months ago Linda decided to go on a strict diet of cooked cabbage, vegetables,brown rice and chicken. So far she has dropped 26 lbs( looking good again) and feels much better.She is now accustomed to it and says she could eat like this for the rest of her life no problem. I on the other hand for some reason cannot give up my Mexican food and Hamburgers and hot dogs.The only reason I gave up sweets is because of my Diabetes. At 5'7" and 245 lbs I know i'm a fat sucker but it seems I have a death wish when it comes to food.When I 1st retired in 2009 I went on a modified Atkins and went from 265 to 220 in no time.So I'm on the cholosterol,blood pressure medicine merry-go-round I could probably get off of if I would use my head.I'm sure the statins are causing a lot of my aches and pains.What to do??

ha!!!! I love veggies, raised on them! I could eat Linda's food of cabbage, brown rice, veggies, and chicken, but that's me!!!! I say exercise is good the the mind, body, and soul. good diet needs the right exercise to go with it!??? out here in the sticks on my little place, I could stay busy 12 hours a day, and never get caught up, BUT i'm getting old and woreout, and I think those statins are not helping that.

Really hope something changes soon....starting to give some serious thought to suicide again....so tired of hurting the way I do.....

i figure life is a challenge and the older we get,, the more challenging.

I can't speak for others, as I have not walked in their shoes, but I think its my place in life to be here for my kids and grandkids as long as there is breath in my body.

Wondering how many folks on here use statin drug to lower your cholesterol? And out of those folks how many experience muscle aches and pains?

Got the results of my latest blood test. Doc told me that I have an elevated muscle enzyme.....and this elevated enzyme is known to cause aches and pains. Doc told me that Simvastatin will sometimes cause this enzyme to be elevated.

Took those Damned things for 4 years, had all sorts of pains in my back, legs neck not to mention the leg cramps that awakened me several times a night. stopped the pills and all the pains went away.:cheers: Told Doc and he prescribed Zetia which worked for a while but the pains started again. Doc told me to take them every other day which seems to help. All we are to big Pharma is lab rats.:banghead:

dvo

Seen my primary care doc today. He was not the least bit receptive to lowering the Simvastatin dose. He did make mention of perhaps trying me on another one. What we did agree on was that I was going to start COQ10. When I go in for my monthly narcotics scripts he will be sending me out for a blood test to see if the COQ10 is helping. I picked up the liquid stuff from Costco, supposed to be more efficient and get in your system quicker. He did say that he may wait for my November narcotics script for blood work.

We talked about me being obese. He wants me to get off my *** and do something about it. He did tell me that the chance of me ever getting off the statin is very slim....even if I were to drop the 70+ extra pounds I am carrying. But obviously if I were to lose the extra half of a person I am carrying there is a very good chance that a large portion of the aches and pains will leave as well. Hmmm.....

my take is life can be a visous circle? we overeat for many reasons. ie we like good food, we work hard and hungry, depressed, the little woman is a good cook?.. etc...... so we gain un healthy weight and fat. overweight makes its harder to be active and exercise. we get older and so much easier to gain and it does not come off like it did before we hit age 50 ???? older with associated aches and pains and health issues.
all I know is I feel better if my weight is right where it should be, if I eat TER right healthy foods, in the RIGHT amounts, on a SCHEDULE.

my take is life can be a visous circle? we overeat for many reasons. ie we like good food, we work hard and hungry, depressed, the little woman is a good cook?.. etc...... so we gain un healthy weight and fat. overweight makes its harder to be active and exercise. we get older and so much easier to gain and it does not come off like it did before we hit age 50 ???? older with associated aches and pains and health issues.
all I know is I feel better if my weight is right where it should be, if I eat TER right healthy foods, in the RIGHT amounts, on a SCHEDULE.
Me and the Mrs. had a bit of a heated discussion about this couple of nights ago. Her diet consists of starches.....lots of them. What she serves as a portion is WAY out of line with what it should be.
I know what works for me....less carbs the better. While back I was about as heavy as I am now. Diet consisted of proteins, pretty much lot of beef/chicken. Yogurt, string cheese, almonds as a snack. Almost no breads, rice potatoes. In 4 months I went from 245 to 195. Problem now is a certain someone just will not get on board with this. I need to change my mindset some, which no doubt will help. We will often times have something defrosted for me to cook...but she will be driving past a fast food place and grab us something to eat. Instead of standing my ground and cooking what is thawed I eat the crap she brings home....

The irony in all of this is I don't really taste a lot of things anymore. Thanks to a severe chronic sinus infection and the truckload of anti-biotics/anti-inflammatorys my sense of taste is pretty much shot. I can't say I enjoy eating all of the crap that I do but shouldn't. I pretty much eat to eat. At times I feel like I am living to eat instead of eating to live.....if that makes any sense...

we live out in the sticks so NEVER eat crap at Mc Donalds etc......

I know how it is when you live with someone that has different eating habits and taste in food. so its a matter of going to the grocery either with her or by myself and make sure I bring home the kinds of food I want. so for instance, she might buy white rice and I buy brown. I pick up salmon I want ,,, she will not touch ( Ha more for me!??). etc I want veggies she wants taters.
I make sure I help MY plate. I explain she has NO idea how much or little I want on my plate.. one key is at night, we NEED less for as we will be sleeping and not burning cal!!????? I was raised down South. the mid day meal was the large meal, not at the evening meal. 98 degrees 100 % humidity, working outside, HOW did I do it!????? must of been that HUGE glass ( glasses) of ice tea!?????? Ha
she has got me on this "every night" ice cream thing!!! its a bad habit. I love the stuff. BUT, I eat a small bowl, she eats one big enough to feed the entire O Boma family. she slips down on the kitchen floe yesterday. I though I was gonna have to go to the garage and drag in the cheery picker to get her up. I bit my tongue, BUT I should have told her she really needs to change her eating and exercise habits!

Changing eating habits are about the hardest thing to do in life. But you know you will feel better when you loose weight.
My niece belongs to a overeaters support group and it's working for her. Might be worth a try.

-
Back