Steel wheels

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
We are at the point on our project (1969 Dart 340 Swinger) that we are looking for wheels. We want steel wheels with dog dish caps. 5x4 small bolt pattern. Nothing fancy. Problem is finding the right ones. We will be painting them red,
So I really don’t want to spend money on new.

I have a lead on a set of 14” from a 71 Demon with a slant 6. What I don’t know is if they have the right inner ring for the 8-3/4” dog dish caps we want to use. Does anyone know if they do? And how is that measured on the rim?

Last edited:
We are at the point on our project (1969 Dart 340 Swinger) that we are looking for wheels. We want steel wheels with dog dish caps. 5x4 small bolt pattern. Nothing fancy. Problem is finding the right ones. We will be painting them red,

I have a lead on a set of 14” from a 71 Demon with a slant 6. What I don’t know is if they have the right inner ring for the 8-3/4” dog dish caps we want to use. Does anyone know if they do?
Make sure that they are 5.5'' wide. Slant 6 cars may have only come with 4.5'' wide wheels. All 68 & 69 340 cars came with the wider wheels.

Last edited:
As stated above, put a wanted add for a set of 14"x 5.5" factory small bolt steel wheels. These are the wheels that came on 340 A-bodys.

Be careful to make sure they are true 5.5" wide wheels
Measure inside bead to inside bead.
People have tried to pass off 4.5" wheels as 5.5" wheels. Knowingly or unknowingly.

I'm sure the seller would know. That size tire would obviously fit on 4.5'' rim also.
Buyer Beware.

Oh it would? See I didn’t know that. He mentioned that it could be either or, but wasn’t sure which it was. How can I know for sure when the tires are still on it?

Edit. They are E78-14 on the rims. I don’t think that changes anything as far as figuring out what the rims are though

Last edited:
Oh it would? See I didn’t know that. He mentioned that it could be either or, but wasn’t sure which it was. How can I know for sure when the tires are still on it?
That's a tough call. I'm sure you could run a tape through a bolt hole and eye ball it but .....

I don't have mine handy but as far as I know the backspace is the same between the two widths but the dish or offset on the front of the wheels is where the difference is. If you look close, you can tell the difference between the two. I wish mine were handy and I could measure.

As far as I know, all small bolt pattern wheels take the small 8 3/4 / 9" caps.
As for wheel width with tires on, I will try to explain my method. (Note: rim width is measured between the beads, so an aluminum wheel 15x8 will usually be 9" overall).
With the tire inflated, lay it on the ground, back side up. Put a straight edge across the tire, and measure to the rim lip. Say that measurement for simplicity sake, is an inch. It will be the same, front and back.
Now measure from straight edge to the ground. If you get 8", for example, that means the wheel is 6" flange to flange,(8-1-1) and probably a 5.5, if a steel wheel.
Edit Same technique can be used for backspace measurement.

As far as I know, all small bolt pattern wheels take the small 8 3/4 / 9" caps.
As for wheel width with tires on, I will try to explain my method. (Note: rim width is measured between the beads, so an aluminum wheel 15x8 will usually be 9" overall).
With the tire inflated, lay it on the ground, back side up. Put a straight edge across the tire, and measure to the rim lip. Say that measurement for simplicity sake, is an inch. It will be the same, front and back.
Now measure from straight edge to the ground. If you get 8", for example, that means the wheel is 6" flange to flange,(8-1-1) and probably a 5.5, if a steel wheel.
Kind of reverse engineered. I like it.

Okay @Johnny Dart here is your chance to show your skills...

wheels.jpg

I have a lead on a set of 14” from a 71 Demon with a slant 6. What I don’t know is if they have the right inner ring for the 8-3/4” dog dish caps we want to use. Does anyone know if they do? And how is that measured on the rim?
What number is stamped on the wheel? Interesting that the part number book I have only lists 4.5" unless it's a Rallye wheel.

The center slug setback from the outer rim is different between the 4-1/2 & 5-1/2, once you see the two it is easy to see the difference.

Alan

FB2ECE07-0F8E-4D3A-9004-5D7D77292F8F.jpeg
98B500C9-50A8-49D9-B5E7-92FCE3DD056E.jpeg
See how far my finger goes in on the flat in the first picture-5.5 wide rim.
Second picture not as deep to the center- 4” rim both are 14” wheels.

Now I have never seen a 13 inch small bolt ( 4 inch ) pattern rim that will accept a 10 inch dogdish hubcap , this wheel is off a 62 Lancer you say. Lancer was the small car correct , not like the 62 Dart , which was a B body , correct.

Frank

Now I have never seen a 13 inch small bolt ( 4 inch ) pattern rim that will accept a 10 inch dogdish hubcap , this wheel is off a 62 Lancer you say. Lancer was the small car correct , not like the 62 Dart , which was a B body , correct.

Frank
Correct. Lancer was the Dodge version of the Valiant. 60(?) to 62 only. B-body dart in 62 became A-body dart in 63.
They did re-use the name on a K-car. I'd much rather have the toad version.....

Frank

If it was not 112 degrees I would go out and pull a dog dish cap off the Toad and measure,...but....I was thinking nothing came with that smaller dog cap until what was it 68?? BUT I am wrong about the same amount of time I am right.
My Toad is original down to the hubcaps.
Its HOT!

The early A bodies had 9 inch caps , I have sold a number of the flying saucer caps , at least that's what they looked like to me.

Frank

If you can take a tire off a rim the width is stamped on the inside of the rim in the metal. These came on lots of A bodies before rallye wheels cam out in 1970.

Does anyone know a source for new steelies for the small bolt pattern? If I search for «14x7 5x4 steel rims» I get a million hits on 5x4,5 rims. My tire guy was not impressed when I brought 235/60-14 to mount on 14x5,5 rims… But I want them steelies, as I have them 14in wheel caps.

-
Back