Steering (almost) Hits Starter (did) - early A

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
I noticed I have only 1/8" clearance between my Pitmann arm rod end and the starter motor. I can't even slip a pinky between them. Indeed, the cotter pin used to catch until I bent it down. A big concern because the motor mounts will settle over time and the interference occurs near the "straight-ahead" position, so binding could occur at high speed, not just in a parking lot.

New problem? I installed new motor mounts, the thicker early 273 type. The originals were cracked and probably slightly thinner from age. I also installed a Magnum "mini starter". I compare it to the original in the photos. The rod end passes near the outside edge of the black ring. Note that the original starter has a protrusion right about there which gives no more clearance than the mini-starter's thru bolt does. Look closely and you will see a groove worn in the plastic insulation and the bolt loose, right along the path the rod end would travel. I had noticed the loose bolt when I removed the starter but didn't put the clues together. So, yes it was interfering and no the mini-starter does not appear to require more clearance.

Design problem? Seems like Chrysler would have allowed a bit more clearance, even in the less class-action days of the 60's. The only things I suspect are that my transmission mount has compressed, sinking the rear of the engine (haven't checked) or my frame is off-factory. I see evidence of prior damage to the left front (torn out strut mount in K-frame repaired w/ plate, inner fender damage). How much clearance do other early-A people have? I recall that in later years (73+?) the Pitmann arm rod end points down. Was that to fix this issue?

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 147
  • PICT0006.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 136
  • PICT0007.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 127
My only thought is, how do you know the steering components are all exactly as per original?

67Dart273,
I don't know the history of my 65 Dart. I bought it from a towing company as a lien sale. I will compare the steering with my 64 Dart, but that one is a slant six. I did take it apart to paint and add the polyurethane boots, so maybe I re-assembled wrong, though I did take photos first and it apparently hit the starter before.

Snake,
I thought of how the Pitman arm sits on the steering gear. It doesn't sit against a shoulder, so where it sits may vary a bit from car to car. I just torqued the nut to the book rating. Seems like I would need a new Pitman arm with a slightly smaller hole that won't slide on as far. If anyone knows of such alternates, that would be helpful. However, I would probably just file down the end of the stud first.

My plan for now is "watchful waiting", as doctors do when they find prostrate cancer. I will watch the clearance and maybe shim the motor mounts if needed. I may end up removing the transmission before I regularly drive the car, and would check the trans mount then. I was getting a slight coolant leak from the engine rear (I think), but seems to have stopped. Probably just from my coolant flush, leaking at the edge of the block plug and now sealed itself.

-
Back