Steering Box Difference '72-'73

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
What's the difference between a power steering box from a 73 Duster and the one for a 72 Duster? Difference pitman arm? Is there a way to make them interchange?
Thanks,
Jon

the difference in the boxes is the spline size where the pitman arm attaches.

they changed in 73....they are largers...

now the second part....in 73 the A bodies got the larger brakes from the E/B bodies....they also changed the drag link.....

the new drag link in 73 takes the pittman arm and idler arm in the opposite direction then the 73 and older...

I do not think there is much difference at all. I converted my 1973 dart sport (basically a dodge version of a duster) to manual steering by installing a manual steering box from a 1970 GTX (B body) and using a manual to power steering adapter coupling from mancini racing.

So if you have access to a manual steering box and steering column from a 1972 duster, it will fit in a 1973 duster.

if you just change the steering box you will need one of those manual to power steering adapters (for about $125) and you are in business.

hope this helps,

Bob

the difference in the boxes is the spline size where the pitman arm attaches.

they changed in 73....they are largers...

now the second part....in 73 the A bodies got the larger brakes from the E/B bodies....they also changed the drag link.....

the new drag link in 73 takes the pittman arm and idler arm in the opposite direction then the 73 and older...

So taking the pitman arm from the 72 box and putting it on the 73 is a no go. How much difference is there in the spline size so I can measure and make sure I'm getting the right box?
Thanks for the help.
Jon

So if you have access to a manual steering box and steering column from a 1972 duster, it will fit in a 1973 duster.

hope this helps,

Bob

It will, but you will also have to change to the '72 center link, pitman arm, and idler arm. In '73 the A bodies got B body steering gear, that is why your '70 B body box bolted in. The '72 and older box output shaft was just a little less than an inch and the '73 up was around 1 1/4".

If I were to get a 73 and up center link could I use that with the 73 box and pitman arm? None of the parts stores can get a pre 73 box, and I've already got a new 73 box in the shop. What do I need to do to make it work?
Thanks again,
Jon

-
Back