Steering box loose

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Working on a 98 Dodge ram 1500 4wd. Ive checked the Ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, idler and pitman arm. All seem tight with no play. Wheel bearings are good and I dont see play in drag link. So Im thinking its time to make a steering box adjustment. The tires a new. The truck has 184,000 miles and I just bought it in January and only have 400 miles since I got it running and back on the road. Tonight was the first trip I took other than in town driving. I drove 175 miles tonight to the beach. I noticed that it has what I would call "slight wandering" as I drive. I noticed when on turns going down the highway it would tend to want to continue direction of road bend then when I would turn back it would wonder past center and I would have to turn back. It wasnt much but it was annoying and dangerous.
So I plan on taking a shot at tightening the steering box. How far should I go at one time and what exactly does tightening the screw up do? I was thinking 1/2 turn at a time?
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks Rod

I adjust the play in the steering box by having the front end off the ground,unlock the steering column ( turn ignition one click). use your hand to turn the steering shaft to adjust as much of the play out without causing a binding or high spot feeling when turning the shaft left and right of center. When you loosen the lock nut on top of the box, make sure you have your other hand holding the adjustment screw so it doesn't turn while your backing off on the lock nut. If you over tighten it you will know when you drive the truck the steering wheel won't return to center when you turn left or right. It will have a funny feel to it.

this is very common complaint on 2nd Gen trucks. I've replaced everything on my 01 ram3500 and it still wanders a bit more than I like. If you Google it you'll see lots of possibe sources of looseness in the steering. Watch for slop in the steering column shaft, too. Much less likely, but still a possibility is loose bolts on the steering box, or cracked frame.

this is very common complaint on 2nd Gen trucks. I've replaced everything on my 01 ram3500 and it still wanders a bit more than I like. If you Google it you'll see lots of possibe sources of looseness in the steering. Watch for slop in the steering column shaft, too. Much less likely, but still a possibility is loose bolts on the steering box, or cracked frame.
Very good points I forgot to mention.

Have someone turn the steering wheel left and right with the engine running and look at your steering box, see how much your frame is flexing and check for cracks around the mounting bolts of the box. Also inspect the shaft for play between the steering wheel to the box.

Good advise so far. Someone may have over-tightened the steering box too. That would exibit the condition you describe.

Slop in the steering on a 2nd gen is as common as a busted dash. It's rare to find one that doesn't have it. Steering box/frame braces help, I have one on my 02 and it helps but I still have slop in the steering. Next upgrade will be a Redhead steering box

-
Back