Steering Box Rebuilders

-

72BlueSwinger

Reaction score
I know probably everyone on here will recommend Firm Feel, but has anyone dealt with Steer and Gear, or Lares Corporation? I think I'll just have my '74 power steering box rebuilt before I bolt that 74 K-member under the car.

have a buddy that had a steer and gear box. it worked fine and all but just wasn't firm enough for him. he went firm feel stage III and loves it.

There is a small shop in Springfield, Mo that rebuilds boxes. I can get an address if your interested.

I might be Jeff. If you can pass the information my way, I might wind up checking it out. I have heard that there is one closer to where I live. Does anyone know someone who rebuilds boxes in Evansville, IN. ? I know you can get a rebuilt unit from Lares on Ebay for $145 + $50 core. Steer and Gear supposedly machines the boxes to accept bearings on some of the units. I don't know if mine would require that or not. I haven't really cleaned it up or looked at it yet, but I'm going to start back on that k-member soon as I get my rear end set back up.

72blueswinger.....
I have had experience with Steer-n-Gear. In my case, the PS rebuild turned out well, but they (somehow) lost my original steering coupler, which I foolishly left on the PS box. When I inquired about this, they said, in effect, So Sorry, but that is out of our control!?
Makes me wonder if they farm out the work, and if so, who is really doing the rebuild!
My next rebuild will be with firm feel.
KenAbody

Can someone give me some sources for rebuilding a manual box? Mine feels
fairly tight, but I noticed when I was under the car and had the center link
down I could move the pitman arm up and down about 3/8" and i am guessing
this is not good.

-
Back