Steering column 69 dart

-

mycuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I must have the first stages of dilerium.
Why cant I get steering shaft coupler on gearbox all the way?
Got first half inch in to pin slot. But cannot get it startedon 2nd section of spline. The steering column also seems to very close to starting firewall bolts. Only thing I can think is to start bolting steering column but there is
should be plenty of wiggle room in coupling????

Thanks in advance
Dave

It is very possible that there is some kind of burr(s) on the steering box splines...... and you may not be able to visually be able to see them with your eyes. I always take a very small wire wheel, on a drill, and polish the splines down so you can get a good view of them. There is plenty of room to work the coupler on the splines, without forcing the steering column to the floor with the bolts. Hope this help's. Dodge33

Were you rough with it?
..perhaps it has started to collapse a small amount?

Not sure if I'm reading this right.

Is there actual interference at the splines preventing it from sliding all the way on? You know of course that there is kind of a keyway in the input shaft.

Or...is the coupling started on the splines but the flange at the firewall is preventing it from going all the way? If that is the case, your column may be partially collapsed. A 69 column is telescopic for safety in case of an accident. The plastic (nylon) shear pins may have gotten sheared. They are in the area of the expanded metal "cage" around the column. Easy to do if it was out of the car and stored or dropped on the end. (steering shaft on floor) If the column seems shorter than you think it needs to be, that may be what happened.

For an illustration of why, look at a typical early 60's GM car and follow the path of the steering shaft from the front mounted box to the steering wheel. I think "spear to the chest" would be appropriate in describing an injury in case of a front end impact.

It came off relatively easy with light prying from all sides.
I will clean inspect splines in and out. See after that.

Thanx Dave

If it came off easily,, you likely don't have the master spline in the right groove, as KosmicKuda suggests. Take it apart and have a good look at aligning the splines properly..

hope it helps

Thanks guys.
I ended up removing coupler assembly. Cleaned/ wire brushing splines.
There is no keyway like flat spot, I know what you are talking about from
one I had apart years ago. The splines are wore in and out.
I managed to get it on solo without shaft in coupler.
Boy was I happy until I tried putting coupling pieces and spring loaded
gizmo back together.I modified the gizmo ends and finally got it on.
Funny thing, its tighter now than before!
Thanks Again for the therapy.......

Glad you got it. Too late to help you but may help others,
( as if anyone reads previous threads LOL ).
There's a small chamfer at the beginnings of splines so the couplings do start in fairly easy when master splines are aligned. Once the open end of the coupling passes the shafts undercut where the pin goes is where they'll hang up. There is just wiggle movement in the splines to be troublesome. Forces from the angle of the column shaft doesn't help matters.
I place a stack of service manuals in the seat under the steering wheel to hold the thing up closer to aligned where it belongs. The ramp of the seat bottom is against my grain so I shift those manuals to get a ramp angle in my favor. Then grab the coupling with gloved hand and shake the crap out of it with onward force. Once it starts onto that 2nd segment of splines just a little it cooperates the rest of the way.

Thanks redfish. Any advice,knowledge, or experience can never be wasted.

-
Back