Steering Column fitting Loose at Firewall

-

shanker

Reaction score
so I spent a while digging thru old threads but only found this one ( Steering Column to Firewall Plate Fitment ) *That poor guy's column previously lived thru a bad wreck*.

But came across this comment in Post # 5 " It is suppose to be round just like the tube is above it. Then that short section just below it is held on to the tube with three rivets. "

The problem I'm having, is that I can loosen the column bolts and mash the column down on the firewall and make this 1/8 or so Up/Down movement go away, but then the collar on the column rubs the dash/instrument cluster making removing the key a PITA.

I can tap the lower part of the column out of the tube and against the firewall with the handle end of a hammer, but after a few tugs on the steering wheel, it'll become loose again.

(I took a 4 second video but I'm unable to upload it :( )

Am I correct in assuming that this column is missing those rivets referred to in the previously mentioned thread and those are what I'm needing?

DusterSteeringColumnMovement01.jpg

DusterSteeringColumnMovement02.jpg

DusterSteeringColumnMovement03.jpg

Couple things I see right off.

1. The wires passing between column and upper support look dangourously traped by the support.
  2. Where you have the long bolts and mismatched washers attaching column brakets to the dash frame. IIRC there should be some larger potmetal / aluminum inserts in there. They have some thickness and might move your column down away from the dash.

Dana67Dart FYI the plastic insulators bolting the column in place are normal. 67 used potmetal ones, on 68 up they went to plastic. Column is held with 3 studs under the dash except I believe 73 or 74 to 76 up which went to 2 studs and nuts.

I believe the lower end of the tube was supposed to be riveted with 2 solid steel rivets to the collapsible part. Far right side of your pic is a nice circular hole where one of the rivets likely goes. Probably have to turn that lower tube end until the holes in it lines up with the hole in the collapsible part on the column. Steel 1/8" pop rivets or next size larger in diameter.

Screenshot_20210222-155020_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Dana67Dart FYI the plastic insulators bolting the column in place are normal. 67 used potmetal ones, on 68 up they went to plastic
Got ya.

Looked off. Looking at the photo again, I see the plastic ones now

PXL_20210223_004557280.jpg

The studs and nuts that clamp the column to the dash (once tightened) don't have anything to do with in and out movement in the steering wheel. If you can pull/push the wheel and inner steering shaft once the housing is held tight to the dash, you have an internal problem in the column. Probably where the upper bearing is held. Maybe missing the circlip?

-
Back