steering column help?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
This column is in a 67 B`cuda with the shifter on it. I had to put a hose clamp around the shaft to hold the spring loaded cap on it. Is there a part missing here? Any ideas? What holds this thing together? Thanks.

IM000784 (Small).JPG

here is a picture of mine and I dont see anything missing so I went to my manual and it looks like there is an insulator and a bearing that presses into the lower coloum and a bearing support that has 3 bolts to hold it

now that I look at the 2 pictures ...you are missing the bolts that hold the bearing support

Thank you Outlaw, I couldn`t find a breakdown of the column anywhere. Now to find the correct bolts and install them.

Hi Longgone, your setup looks the same as mine, the lower ring that keeps the spring tension on the bearing insulator ( that you are holding in place with the hose clamp ) has a small locking bolt on mine that clamps it on the shaft. There are no threaded holes in the insulator to bolt in to, Outlaw's looks like a different insulator maybe. I drilled and tapped the insulator and fitted 1/4 bolts, not much wall thickness to tap but it held with a little locktite. Any idea if there is supposed to be a seal fitted over the bearing as well ?

nz68rt said:
Hi Longgone, your setup looks the same as mine, the lower ring that keeps the spring tension on the bearing insulator ( that you are holding in place with the hose clamp ) has a small locking bolt on mine that clamps it on the shaft. There are no threaded holes in the insulator to bolt in to, Outlaw's looks like a different insulator maybe. I drilled and tapped the insulator and fitted 1/4 bolts, not much wall thickness to tap but it held with a little locktite. Any idea if there is supposed to be a seal fitted over the bearing as well ?

I rotated the insulator on mine and didn`t find any threads in it ,so I just figured it was a press fit that had long lost its grip. I`m still unable to find a good breakdown of the column to find out what parts are supposed to be there and what parts are missing. If I find something on it I`ll post them here.

Mine also had bolts in it like Outlaws. In fact I had 2 columns that both had bolts in them. One was the original from my 68 Cuda with a floorshift and the other from a 71 Dart columnshift. Strange that yours didn't have bolts. I have a factory service manual for my Cuda. Tomorrow I'll dig it out and see what I can find and post back here.

fishy68 said:
Mine also had bolts in it like Outlaws. In fact I had 2 columns that both had bolts in them. One was the original from my 68 Cuda with a floorshift and the other from a 71 Dart columnshift. Strange that yours didn't have bolts. I have a factory service manual for my Cuda. Tomorrow I'll dig it out and see what I can find and post back here.

Hello Fishy-Any info/pics you can assist with I`d be grateful for! Thanks-John

Hey John I just got the manual out and looked it up. All the pictures are just like both of my columns were. I even looked at every style showed such as column shift auto, floor shift, even column shift 3 speed. They all showed 2 bolts holding the lower support in except the 3 speed which was totally different setup. Didn't say what size bolts they were but if I remember right mine were 1/4" sheet metal type. I'd post a picture but I think you get the picture. Anyway I don't think the pix would come out very good cause my manual is a cheap copy I got off of E-bay and the pictures aren't very good. Time I scan them in and send them I bet they'd be pretty bad.

i remember when my steering wheel felt a little loose in the up and down motion i pulled the whole column apart to find out that there was a bearing that blew up and the nuckle at the bottom all you guys are looking at had moved maybe half an inch, so i just snugged it up by tapping the washer and it tightened it all up, but i also dont remember anything else there? im positive there wasnt a hose clamp.. but whatever works .

Cerwin said:
i remember when my steering wheel felt a little loose in the up and down motion i pulled the whole column apart to find out that there was a bearing that blew up and the nuckle at the bottom all you guys are looking at had moved maybe half an inch, so i just snugged it up by tapping the washer and it tightened it all up, but i also dont remember anything else there? im positive there wasnt a hose clamp.. but whatever works .

Yeah the hose clamp has got to go, lol !! When I get a good breakdown of the column, I`ll get to the source of the problem there. Any help would be welcome!

-
Back