Steering Column Removal—help!

-

Brandon Boroi

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals! New member in search of help.
I have a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger that I am restoring. Right now I’m battling with the steering column. I have the retainer out, wires unplugged and the 2 bolts on the flange out that bolts to the fire wall. I’m at a loss, plus never done this before. Can’t find anything on Google or YouTube on it.

7CFBFB9F-7E36-4F70-94F1-0F80E09F5D88.jpeg

4DE6C720-5B1E-4263-9E8D-285EEAC5D803.jpeg

1st off, welcome aboard.
2nd....go to mymopar.com and download a FREE service manual for your car. It's over 50 years old....you will need it.
Look at your 1st pic, there is a coupler near the bottom of the steering column shaft, that bolts to the steering box.
Clean the grease off the coupler, there is a round hole that may have a "retainer" that has to be driven out.
Good luck

:welcome: aboard!

Let’s go Brandon, get that steering column done.

Yep, use a 5/16 punch...I'd bolt the column back up first... I'm sure there are many other Solid Mopar Brothers that can give you better help, but tapping/ sometimes Worse, on stuff floating around ain't cool. Or Fun, as it could lead to more " Fun" ps.. everything I've done had 3 from flange to firewall

Last edited:
1st off, welcome aboard.
2nd....go to mymopar.com and download a FREE service manual for your car. It's over 50 years old....you will need it.
Look at your 1st pic, there is a coupler near the bottom of the steering column shaft, that bolts to the steering box.
Clean the grease off the coupler, there is a round hole that may have a "retainer" that has to be driven out.
Good luck
Thank you

1st off, welcome aboard.
Good luck
This right here ^^^^ is the damned best advice you'll get. That way, you can look and learn how to do it yourself, your way.

Welcome aboard!

This right here ^^^^ is the damned best advice you'll get. That way, you can look and learn how to do it yourself, your way.

Welcome aboard!
I was gonna tag Ya in this, was watching a Good Preaching session. Sorry, i forgot. The pin measures 5/16", non compressed. Maybe 9/32"... I dunno, Rob. Hope Ya didn't take offense at my saying you were cool like Ronnie... that's a big time complement, as I grew up in Westside Jacksonville

Last edited:
I was gonna tag Ya in this, was watching a Good Preaching session. Sorry, i forgot. The pin measures 5/16", non compressed. Maybe 9/32"... I dunno, Rob. Hope Ya didn't take offense at my saying you were cool like Ronnie... that's a big time complement, as I grew up in Westside Jacksonville
Naw, why would I do that? I had the chance to meet them in Macon when I was a kid, but we didn't end up in the same place at the same time. Always been a big fan of the original lineup. I did get to sneak in more than once to see them in the mid 70s, but just never had the chance to meet them.

You'll find it easier to take 3 bolts from perimeter of floor plate than working though a much smaller hole in that plate.

Maybe I did it wrong but I took the three bolts out at the firewall . Not the two bolts .. The column came right out . Agreed you must fiddle with the coupler ..

-
Back