steering column shaft

-
Keep in mind that the plastic that keeps the shaft from lengthing or shortening will be gone and the only thing keeping it the correct length will be the coupler.

Keep in mind that the plastic that keeps the shaft from lengthing or shortening will be gone and the only thing keeping it the correct length will be the coupler.

While true, I believe it's a non issue. I believe the only reason the plastic injection was there, was for the assembly line.

I built an electric assist column and used a universal borgeson telescoping shaft to the coupler. So it will collapse if I get into an accident.

I'm not worried about it collapsing in an accident. My concern would be if the top of the coupler came off there would be nothing to keep the shaft from shortening enough to disengage from the coupler.

I have seen cars driving around with the top crimped on or clipped on cap an inch or more up the shaft.

If it was me and I was to do what was suggested. I would drill and tap a set screw and drill a divit into the inner shaft with some Non removable locktite I would not be concerned about length change.

But I'm a bit more paranoid in my later years.

I'm not worried about it collapsing in an accident. My concern would be if the top of the coupler came off there would be nothing to keep the shaft from shortening enough to disengage from the coupler.

I have seen cars driving around with the top crimped on or clipped on cap an inch or more up the shaft.

If it was me and I was to do what was suggested. I would drill and tap a set screw and drill a divit into the inner shaft with some Non removable locktite I would not be concerned about length change.

But I'm a bit more paranoid in my later years.

True, the factory coupler can be sketchy. Two options this: Mopar A B E Body 66-73 Dodge Plymouth 3" STAINLESS Steering Column Coupler Cover Clamp / Retainer

Or a universal joint.

I know I am over thinking it but...

Not sure the clip would be more secure?

Some couplers have that tiny pin to keep the coupler from coming off. I added a small screw to accomplish the same thing. I also drilled my shaft where the plastic injection holes were and used a couple nylon screws to hold its length in place of the broken injected nylon.

upload_2022-2-15_19-8-37.png

I know I am over thinking it but...

Not sure the clip would be more secure?
That clip is really strong and hard to get installed. It will hold a lot of force. There was a factory repair procedure to re-secure the 2 shafts together if the nylon inserts were sheared off.
Jim

-
Back